Item Posts   

Chrysler 300 starter relay

| 
Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 11/25/18
05:12 PM

if you have the OLD starter relay..

see if you can remove the cover from the relay..

see if you can figure out how the contacts close.

install it bare..  manually close the contacts with a wooden tooth pick or plastic tooth pick to see if the Starter starts spinning the engine.. indicating the problem is NOT with the starter or Battery cables to the engine block and starter or with the battery cable to the TIPM/underhood fuse relay blocks.

the owners manual sucks for that model.. does not describe where the relay blocks are.. or where the individual relays are.. i hate owners manuals created by subcontractors who don't hire people who know the car systems..

i just downloaded the wiring diagrams. SOME Of them.. the factory service manual electrical section is over 1,000 pages just for the wiring  i got about 80 pages to go thru to see if i can see how the relay gets controlled..

i will be back later sunday night to post some ideas..

the replacement relay could be BAD..

a LOT of people will return DEAD Relay for cash back like they were NEW relays..  people will mix them up on the counter and switch good for bad and walk away with the good one.  you would not believe how many times that's happened to me.  

Posted: 11/25/18
05:23 PM

i wonder if you have triggered the security system

can you see if the security lamp is flashing..

if you have triggered the security system the light will either stay on after the key is turned on.. or the security light will flash..

normally the security light will come on when the key is turned on.. but then go out in a few seconds..

get out.. take the key with you..

lock the doors..  you may have to close the hood.. Roll the drivers window down just in case please..  its easier than having to break a window to get back in to get the hood back open if there is an electrical issue..

yes.. been there.. done that.

wait 5 minutes with the doors locked and the alarm set..

come up to the car.. use the keyfob to open it.. get in and see if the engine starts and runs..

back to the diagrams for me..  please post what you find..  

Posted: 11/26/18
05:01 PM

EDIT... in breezing thru the many many pages of the wiring diagrams..

remove the cover from the old starter relay.. figure out how it works .. so you can close the contacts manually..

plug the bare relay in.. manually close the contacts and verify the starter engages..

you may need to use a professional scan tool to look into the vehicle electrical control system operation.. this is NOT an easy thing to do..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2019 Chrysler 300
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories: