Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville wont turn over...help!

| 
Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/10/18
08:27 PM

when it was driven after about 30 minutes it would just stall out.  We found out we needed to keep gas in half to full or the sloshing around could sometimes stall it...so after filling completely up.  

you could have an ignition issue.. you will want to inspect the sides of the coil for signs of high voltage leakage.. you will also want to look at the pickup coil connection to the end of the ignition module to make sure its not covered with green corrosion.  the wires in the pickup coil are thinner than a hair..

cadillacs have a red and a black junction box where the smaller battery cables. you test these with a test light.. the red box and red wires.  has you hook the clip to the negative terminal and the probe into the far end of each of the probably dozen wires.. they should all have power.. you may have to test past the nylon block molded on the wire..

ECM power and ground testing gets complex..

to access the trouble codes on your cadillac..

it takes a sequence of push buttons on the climate control. turn the ignition key to the RUN position without starting the engine.. take your foot off the brake.. with 2 fingers at the same time.. hold the climate control OFF and WARMER buttons down till all the segments light up on the entire dashboard.. let go of the buttons...

watch the display.. it could be one on the left side of the steering column.  look for E.0 codes.. write them all down please..

to check the next module. .push the LOW button one time..

to entire that module press Hi. but without the exact flow chart this does you no good.. its complex even for me as i rarely do these anymore.  i don't think i have touched one of these in 6 or 8 years..

when the battery is poorly connected and the engine is running.. or sometimes just making and braking the electrical connection you can DESTROY the computer..  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/10/18
08:28 PM

bump..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: