Xml
Item Posts   

2002 Chevy Trailblazer trans issue

| 
Michael Carone Michael Carone
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/18
Posted: 06/06/18
01:56 PM

My 2002 Trailblazer's transmission suddenly stopped responding at a traffic light.  The fluid level is high even while the engine is running but the fluid is clear and does not smell burnt.  Anyone have any ideas of the cause and what steps I need to take to fix this?  The truck has 170K on it and I don't think that any work has been done to it in the past.  I have had the truck for only 2 months.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
03:05 PM

you could have had several things.

transmission failure inside..

torque converter failure.

front pump failure.

do you have any reverse..

with the fluid level high. the converter is not filling..

when you go to change it.. if you are going to do it your self..

please NOTE the label info on the torque converter.. its really important that the converter has the proper stall speed and friction material for your application.. the transmission also has a plate to identify the exact transmission number but its also stamped on the bottom of the main case behind the pan and in front of the transmission mount..  this is different that the torque converter info.. you need both to select the proper transmission and torque converter to go in..

please also.. when you are hoisting the transmission up to slip it onto the back of the motor.. please figure out some way to retain it after its seated onto the splines and into the front pump... so many of these are destroyed because of the converter sliding out slightly and when the transmission is forced to the back of the engine it breaks the front pump internal ring. killing the transmissions front pump..  

Michael Carone Michael Carone
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/18
03:36 PM

No reverse either.  I am thinking that you are correct with your guesses but was hoping for something simpler.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
05:26 PM

get a decent one built by a shop who specializes in performance version..

put on the biggest additional transmission oil cooler you can.. but be sure that you don't restrict cooler flow..  use double hose clamps at each hose to tube connection..  

bbuss2 bbuss2
Enthusiast | Posts: 536 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 07/01/18
04:15 PM

I believr the torque converter is whats known as a 300 mm converter
These converters dont go into the pump gear far enough and after a while the pump gear breaks and causes no movement and high fluis level
If you look at part of the pump gear where the converter goes into it you can see how deep the converter was into the gear
The fix for this after the trans is done is to put washers between the flex plate and converter to make the converter run deeper into the gear  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: