Xml
Item Posts   

Turn signal electrical problem 2005 Dodge Caravan

| 
Danny Kewl Danny Kewl
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/18
Posted: 05/15/18
11:26 AM

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT (not Grand) with about 80K miles. I'll give the problem first I want advice on so I know what I'm going in for when I take it to the repair shop. I assume a short of some type. Then the problem history.

The driver's side front turn signal is either dim and flashing fast, or working normally. If I have the headlights on when it's flashing fast, there is no turn signal. Sometimes all day with the fast dim signal, sometimes all day working normally, sometimes normal one minute, then dim and fast the next. All other signals and lights a\work OK, even when I get the dim fast signal in front. Not sure about the front parking light on that side, thought that was out but can't sure and can't reproduce it now, as working normally again.  Since it's intermittent like that, would a repair place be able to find the problem even if working normally the time they are looking at it?

Now the history. I took the van in, in March to get a new radiator, old one was leaking. I drive it home, and find the passenger side turn signal completely out, and then the horn when I went to lock it with the remote. Horn was working night before when I locked it, and I used the turn signals to get to the shop.

When I brought it back, after they fixed the horn and turn signals,  they told me the horn and turn signal was out before they even started working on it, and where they worked replacing the radiator is nowhere near the wires that they said were corroded and they replaced, charged me $60. The claimed the wires were in back. Why would wires for the horn and front turn signals be in back? I have the hunch they accidentally knocked something out of whack. Whatever, it happened there.

Since it's now the driver's side turn signal and not the passenger side they fixed, would it be to my advantage taking it to another shop, as I'm kind pissed at them already, and no guarantee they will fix it for free. The receipt just says horn and turn signal repaired, but doesn't say which one, and I have no idea what info they have in their computer on it.  

Also, if my horn and turn signal were indeed out when they worked on it, wouldn't they have an obligation to let me know when they are working on it for the radiator, as both are required by law to function. Again, they told me when I brought it back after the fact that "they knew they were out" (and didn't tell me) and am calling BS on that, they did it. Just gonna drive as is for now, not my fault, until I get to the bottom of this. Any advice appreciated, thanks.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2709 | Joined: 08/14
02:32 PM

most of the grounds are in the middle of the van.. just inside of the B pillar on both sides..  the B pillar is between the front doors and the sliders on both side.

here is a picture of the ground on the right side..  you can kinda see the stud ..

Ynrirrf

according to my service manual wiring diagrams.. the front turn and park lamps are grounded at G102..   but G102 is directly beside the radiator.  left side. in an impossible to reach without taking a whole bunch of stuff off position.. it might be accessed from the bottom.

the front lighting control module is grounded at G300 by the B Pillar..

turn on the parking lights. walk around and see which lights work..  while the parking lights are on.. turn on the hazard flashers.. walk around again. see what happens.. if one goes dim instead of bright. you have a bad ground.

these models also use a plug in to the socket type of bulb.. i would love for you to pull the offending bulbs out.. go in with a small screw driver or nail file to clean the tabs that touch the sides of the bulb  bases.. then bend them in slightly..  reinsert the bulb or even better use new ones.  see if that cures your issues..

the High Note Horn is also grounded at G102..  

Danny Kewl Danny Kewl
05:18 PM

Thank you Just Tri It1.  So going on where the signals and horn are grounded, I assume it's a good possibility the shop indeed messed things up when they re[laced the radiator, and failed to tell me or fix it? Maybe didn't know until I told them, but again, they put the blame on me.

I just tried, as signal dim and fast again. Turned on the parking lights, and indeed no parking light on that side, with or without the hazards. No turn signal at all unless parking lights off, then dim, even with hazards, but still no parking light that side.

All other lights OK with parking lights and hazards on. Horn works, sounds normal to me. I have 2 horns, a high and low?

Did look at and try cleaning the contacts where the bulb goes, and put in a new bulb, didn't help.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2709 | Joined: 08/14
07:00 PM

maybe this will help..

this is a 2006 version but its identical

Xz6fdpk

linked for ease of saving a full size image.

2006_Caravan_front turn and park lights  

Danny Kewl Danny Kewl
07:55 PM

Thanks again, will print this out, your help was much appreciated.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: