Xml
Item Posts   

2005 Dodge Dakota - Trans Won't Engage/Clacking Noise Shifting to Park

| 
mize85 mize85
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/18
Posted: 05/11/18
06:38 AM

I bought a 2005 Dakota Laramie, 4x4 V8 with 165k miles from a family member for a work/project truck. She drove it everyday for a year without issue. I drove the truck on a Saturday, parked it flat, went out of town, came back following Saturday and started having problems below.

Truck starts and runs fine. I can shift into N, R, D, 1, 2 without issue, but can't move. Revving to 2500 RPM produces nothing, like I'm stuck in N. When shifting back into P, the trans (or maybe the torque converter?) makes a whining/clacking noise. Not really a grind. The noise stops when I shift back to N and jam it into P with authority. Fluid level is perfect and surprisingly clean (I mean really clean, looks new) for a truck this old. I asked the seller if she had the transmission serviced recently and she said no.

I haven't had a chance yet to drop the pan, but I've read on other forums that it might be the sump filter that has come loose, causing there to be insufficient pressure. Is there anything else I should be looking for when I get in there? Other things that might cause this issue? Sensors, solenoids?  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/11/18
09:40 AM

either the transfer case is in Neutral.. or Broken.. stolen.. or the drive shafts have been removed.. or the rear end is broken..

if its clacking when you try to put it in park. the drive shafts or the transfer case is freewheeling.  

bbuss2 bbuss2
Enthusiast | Posts: 536 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/29/18
04:21 PM

After more than 35 years in transmission shops as a rebuilder
I agree 100 percent with the diagnosis  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: