Xml
Item Posts   

starter problems

| 
Vincent Thomas Pinatelli Vincent Thomas Pinatelli
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/18
Posted: 05/10/18
09:21 AM

i have a 2003 saturn ion and the starter went out an i would like to know if there is a way to fix it for now? till i get the money for a brand new one??  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2709 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/10/18
03:40 PM

what went out..  its usually a bad ground cable or bad positive cable end in the trunk..  the last 5 inches usually goes bad.. check it out carefully..

so many negative battery cables went bad right in the trunk that GM ran out of them for a while.

the positive cable is about 18 feet long..

if your car is a stick shift. you can always park in a spot where you can roll start it..

i have a friend with a toyota truck.. he drove it for 2 weeks without a starter motor even being installed.  just positioned it in a spot he could roll start it.

those starters are PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction)they are NOT user friendly.

there is a way.. to spin the armature by hooking directly to the feed wire into the starter.. this will spin the armature perhaps if you are lucky and might clean up the brushes and the commutator slightly..  this is not an easy job to do..

its almost better done with the starter off the car sitting on the ground..

hook a negative jumper cable to the housing someplace other than the end cover on the motor.. up on the mounting ears..

touch the small connector with the positive jumper cable end. the drive gear should slam out and stay out. only do this for 2 seconds.. you can do it many times to verify.. the motor will just barely spin.

now touch the thick cable end going into the motor housing with the positive jumper cable clamp..  the drive gear should SPIN without coming out.  let it run for 10 seconds.  it should spin ...

now.. put the positive jumper cable on the other big post on the solenoid.. nothing should happen and that is expected..  while that is hooked up.. either turn the clamp to touch both top post on the solenoid and the small terminal.. this should cause teh starter to kick out.. and a fraction of a second later.. start spinning..

DO NOT HAMMER ON THE STARTER HOUSING. you will break the magnets inside..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: