Item Posts   

Ford Taurus 2005 - Power steering issues after pump replacement

| 
Maxime Bgt Maxime Bgt
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/17
Posted: 07/12/18
12:58 PM

Hi,

I've changed the power steering pump after progressively losing all steering on my Ford Taurus. Now I recovered some kind of steering (especially at high RPM) but it's still hard on low speeds, stuttering and noisy.

Looks like the system is losing some fluid but the only way it works when fully stopped is to put more fluid in but the reservoir eventually overflows when turning the engine off. It looks like the pump runs low even with the proper amount of fluid (I can see the rotor stiring the fluid).

What could be the cause of those issues?

Thanks.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
03:20 PM

you have AIR in the fluid.. its pumping around and expanding..  when you shut it off.. the air bubbles expand and overflow the system..

invest in a second filler cap for the power steering.. modify it with a small drilled hole and thread in a hose barb fitting..  so you have a perfect seal.. put a vacuum hose on that fitting..  you have several choices..  you can use a hand vacuum pump from a vacuum brake bleeding kit..  or if you are creative.. you might find a vacuum port on the engine that has manifold vacuum.. that you can disconnect for a few minutes .. hooking up the  vacuum hose to the power steering reservoir cap to manifold vacuum while you operate the motor and turn the steering wheel from left to right and right to left.. all the way to the STOP. but NOT staying at the stop or forcing the steering wheel hard against each stop.  it only takes a few minutes of running with vacuum applied to the power steering system reservoir to extract all of the air trapped...

this is actually a FORD procedure..

how about a video on it..

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
04:18 PM

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ ford power steering vacuum cap adapter  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2019 Ford Taurus
Button Getmyprice
Body Style: