Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2001 Silverado parasitic battery drain

| 
Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 04/07/18
05:16 PM

the main battery feed it bolted to the corner of the underhood fuse box.. usually with a bolt.. not a nut on a stud.

the fuse box does come off.. please disconnect the battery first..

the bottom of the fuse box looks like this..

Cpoc2ut  

Thom75 Thom75
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 04/18
Posted: 04/08/18
05:38 AM

The negative battery cable is always disconnected when I do  circuit testing.
However, whenever I reconnect the cable to the battery, I hear a noise in the cab that sounds like a solenoid engaging.The noise is loud enough to be heard when I am standing in front of the truck.
Interestingly, I used a common non powered test light between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable to do some testing. the test light will pulse with a bright flash.
As the test light flashes, I hear this noise, but I cant see the source, and due to many obstructions, I can not  touch the source with my hand.  

Posted: 04/08/18
08:01 AM

rig up a 552 flasher with some wire and gator clips or ring terminals.. so you can install it between the negative post and the removed negative able..

this will make the power flash on and off making it easier hopefully to find the device that is staying on.

warning..

OBD2 cars and trucks have devices that turn on when the battery had been reconnected. this can stay on for 6 or 7 minutes..

go back to my parasitic draw test using the master switch.

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-cutoff-switch-63425.html

Y0cf5nx

my autozones keep these two switches in stock

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/kill-switch/duralast-mini-master-disconnect-switch-with-on-off-knob/422687_0_0

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/kill-switch/battery-doctor-master-disconnect-switch/558400_0_0  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/09/18
08:36 AM

I took the cover to the  under hood fuse/ rely  junction block off.
I removed the battery line that is bolted to this junction block.
I also removed the battery line to alternator.
With both battery lines off, I get 0 volt draw.
I  reconnected  the battery line to the fuse  / rely  junction block, but leaving the battery
line off the alternator,  I see 12.6 volt draw.
With  the battery line to the fuse / rely  junction block off, and the  battery line to the
alternator reconnected, I see 11 volt draw.
I opened the cover to the battery cable junction block to inspect for any oddities.
The connections are all clean and solid.
What's the next step??  

Thom75 Thom75
12:04 PM

This truck has a snow plow,and an auxiliary battery.
 I disconnected all of the wiring including the solenoids, I still have a 12 volt draw.  

Thom75 Thom75
03:55 PM

Could a broken body ground strap cause a parasitic voltage draw?  

05:00 PM

parasitic draw is expected with all OBD2 cars and trucks...  normally 0.030 or 0.040 amps.. that is 3/100th of an amp or 4/100ths of an amp..

for the first 6 minutes after reconnecting the battery or putting the amp meter in line.. or even the volt meter in line.. stuff will turn on.. after 6 minutes it will SHUT off. but the computer memories in the PCM. the BCM, the ABS module, the stereo, the remote entry module. the seat position on the cadillac models will pull parasitic current to keep the computer memory intact..

you have to change the way you are testing or you will be chasing your self in circles..

use your AMP METER PORTS.. on your volt meter. with it set to 10 amps DC.. or 15 amps DC or 20 amps DC depending on which meter..

there are computer memory devices that stay ON with the truck turned off..  

Thom75 Thom75
06:05 PM

With  the dvm  set  to read amps, with it hooked up in between the battery post and the battery cable,your saying that the meter will show a reading for about 6 minutes, and then will show no reading at all?  

06:38 PM

with the digital volt meter set to DC amps..

the test leads plugged into the proper ports..

when you hook 1 test lead to the negative battery post and the other to the negative battery cable you removed from that post..

you might read 1.0 to 3.0 amps for up to 6 minutes..  then it will drop to around 0.040 amps.. 4/100ths of an amp.. this is totally expected..  

Thom75 Thom75
07:31 PM

If I still see high amps after the test period, where to go from there??  

08:13 PM

how many..

back to pulling fuses..

how many things are bolted to the output studs on the fuse block..

have you pulled any of the fuses in the instrument cluster fuse block.. while the amp meter is hard wired across the negative battery post to negative battery cable.  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/10/18
06:51 AM

When monitoring the amps reading at 2.4 amps,how long before I see the high amps return to normal milliamps?  

08:20 AM

Less than 7 minutes.

Do the fuse pull set up like this in amp draw.  

More than 1 circuit has parasitic draw. Make sure the doors are closed and the ignition  key in your pocket.  

08:24 AM

You may also want to identify the courest light fuse and pull it first then you can have the drivers door open while pulling fuses in the interior fuse box. But the interior fuse box gets fused power from the under hood fuse box. There should be no direct circuit's  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 05/07/18
03:07 PM

I didnt forget about this project.In the summer, the truck is used everyday.
So, it starts and runs as normal.
BUT,  I have a question.
What do you  know about  coolant circulation?
This truck has a 6.0 liter gas engine.
There is a coolant hose that  travels from the radiator, to
the recovery tank. It is about 1/2" in outside dia.This is a formed one piece hose. It does not go anywhere else.I would like to know if this hose should be hot after the engine reaches full temp.  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories: