1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2001 Silverado parasitic battery drain

| 
Thom75 Thom75
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 04/18
Posted: 04/04/18
11:41 AM

I have a 2001 Silverado 6.0 gas engine that  shows a 12v draw with dvm across  the
disconnected negative battery battery cable.
I have removed the fuses(1 at a time).I have removed the relays( 1 at a time).
In doing this I still see this 12v draw.I did an amps reading at 1.2 amps.
What would be my next procedure.
If any of you have had this experience, and fixed it, I would appreciate some feed back.
Thanks
Thom  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 04/04/18
03:00 PM

i do a voltage drop test first..

the moderators voltage drop test linked to  open full page.

Kvix0vq

this test takes about 5 minutes to perform.

because this truck is an OBD2 system.. it has several circuits that can stay active after the key is shut off..  this requires additional steps to perform an accurate parasitic draw test..

the Modeators Parasitic draw test linked to open full page

Y0cf5nx

you may need something like this.. so you can disconnect the direct circuit so all the parasitic draw goes thru the amp meter.. since most are rated at 10 AMPs.. a few at 15 and the 26 buck Harborfreight versions  have 20 amp settings.

Er0oy2r

there is a chance the  alternator could be pulling amperage.. there is also a chance that some device wired in someplace is pulling amperage..

the LS versions have battery cables sometimes hooked up like this..

4Xk1m5o  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/05/18
04:32 AM

I forgot to mention that I had already  removed the battery lead from the alternator as well.  

07:58 AM

unless something is connected before the underhood fuse box.. everything including the interior fuse box is fused up front.

some devices come on when you hook up the battery and may require up to 6 minutes to shut off.  sometimes staying on until after the drivers door is opened and closed.

there are a whole lot of fuses to pull one at a time with the amp meter hooked up. while watching the meter display

Vg1sk3o

you may want to also check the bottom of the fuse block for water damage..  mouse damage.. to the harness.  

11:18 AM

oh... you are wondering.. why did he post a picture of your underhood fuseblock.

as i have an idea..

make sure the drivers window is down.. just in case.. unless its snowing or raining..

take a picture of the top of your fuse block like this.. so you know where each color fuse came out of.  if you have an EGG carton bottom that would be great..  and a magic marker..  this is to keep them separated..

fuses to pull one at a time and KEEP pulled while watching the amp draw on your meter..  

pull the large fuse #5  then #7 ..  retained accessory power and retained accessory power 2.

followed by the big fuse 1, 2, 4, 8..  what happens when each of those is removed also.. you are still pulling them and putting them in order in the egg carton..  or stuffing them into a piece of foam or cardboard. .

then pull fuse 3 the IGN A fuse.. then fuse 6 the igntion B fuse.. does it still have a current draw? that is all the big fuses out .. in an order i thing i would do.. you can just pull them all one at a time in order..

down to the smaller size fuses.

FUSE 41.. the AUX power outlets fuse..

Fuse 42.. then fuse 43..  fuse 46,   fuse 47.. fuse 54.. fuse 58  then fuse 60 the BCM.  heck.. start by pulling fuse 60..

if you get rid of your voltage drop when you pull fuse 60. then it gets more complex..  you will be pulling fuses in the instrument panel fuse box..  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/06/18
01:34 PM

Well
With fuse # 60 out , the dvm shows a voltage draw of 11.6v, the engine will not start.
Reinstall # 60,the dvm shows a voltage draw of 12.6v, the engine will start.
Does fuse # 60 get it's power from the bus bar?
My wiring diagram shows the remote control door lock receiver, and the body control module
are powered by this fuse.  

02:46 PM

TBC FUSE #60 is directly off the buss bar..

my diagrams show the same.

hook up your multimeter in DC amps when you have the negative battery disconnected..  so negative battery post to the negative cable..

what kind of meter are you using..

Kqmrqa9

Adza6iv

in these 2 examples of volt meters.. you can see the Common jack for the test leads.. the 10 Amp and the 20 amp jacks on them are a shunt to measure current on from Negative to Negative .. or Positive to positive.. pull Fuse 60 and with your volt meter set up to AMPS DC.. probe the fuse socket terminals for fuse 60.. that will let you know how much is the draw is..

i don't know where GM stashed the remove entry module.. to allow you to unplug it to see if that is causing the draw..  i will look for its location in a little while and get back to you if you don't already know where it is..

the BCM controls several devices that prevent the engine from starting as its not relaying the proper signal to the PCM called Fuel enable..  so there will be NO injector pulsing. even though the injectors get power on the positive side.

test leads with gator clips work great..

Xltlpve  

03:06 PM

oh there is the remote entry module location.

the impossible location.. top center of the dashboard.. where nobody can reach it..

i have a question.. did you have a water leak around your windshield.. or have to have your windshield replaced lately..

wait you said it only acts up when it rains..  or was that somebody else.. i answer so many posts on several forums.. i get lost sometimes.

AHHHH!!!!!!

Xbmw5lv  

Thom75 Thom75
03:31 PM

If I remove the remote entry module,  will the engine start.
I wonder, could  the key fob  be a part of the problem?  

03:39 PM

that i don't know..  usually that kind of info is NOT in the manuals..  it looks like it may only have 3 wires on it..  one from fuse 60.. a ground connection to the left side of the dashboard.. at the ground connector.. hidden near the left end vent on the face of the dash..

may i introduce you to the well hidden G203..

1Lvupwb

Khukvco  

Thom75 Thom75
03:39 PM

I just payed a visit to YOUTUBE. I found a fast and easy way to remove the module.
I bought this truck new, no history of water intrusion, The windshield is the original.  

03:40 PM

say.. if you dig into that ground.. could you snap me a few pictures to post.. upload them to imgur.. make them private.. when you have uploaded them.. right click to copy the image location and paste that here..  

03:41 PM

condensation could effect it also..  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/07/18
05:52 AM

I'll give it a try
Probably one day next week.  

Thom75 Thom75
Posted: 04/07/18
12:00 PM

Well
I found the remote control door lock receiver module.It is mounted to a bracket above the instrument cluster.Sorry,I did not take any pictures.It was in plain sight after I removed the cluster.The radio doesn't need to be removed.
Unfortunately, I still have full battery draw with the module unplugged, as well as the cluster unplugged.
I found the body control module, it under the steering column.After I unplugged all three connectors, I still have full battery draw.
Oddly enough, with fuse # 60 pulled, I am showing a full battery draw.
Now, I wonder, where do I go from here?
I think my next move will be to remove the cover from the under hood fuse panel, and disconnect the main power feed.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories: