Xml
Item Posts   

I have a 1998 Honda CR-V promblem when starting while warm

| 
byrdmann2400 byrdmann2400
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/18
Posted: 11/19/18
09:17 PM

I recently replaced the distributor brand new the car starts up on a cold start no problem but once it warms up and I turn it off I can’t get it back started until it cools down again can you’ll let me know what’s my next step to fixing this problem  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 11/20/18
06:07 AM

do you have a Tachometer on your instrument cluster.. telling you how fast the engine is running.   when you start it cold..i expect the tachometer to show you are cranking around 400 RPM..

what happens with the tachometer when it fails to start hot??

if you had a timing light you could clip on around the spark plug wire when the engine is hot and fails to start. see if you are getting spark.. you could also buy a spark plug..  and scrounge a foot of solid copper wire... wrap a loop of copper wire around the steel body of your new spark plug.. create a small loop at the other end of the wire.. and bolt this down on a proper fastener on the engine..  not a valve cover hold down bolt.. unless your valve cover has a ground wire.. this allows you to pull a spark plug wire... plug it in your grounded new spark plug.. see if you get a nice bright blue spark from the spark plug while cranking hot..

so if the tachometer moves while the engine is being cranked..  the crank sensor in the distributor is probably working.

if you get spark from the spark plug wire ends hot..  the coil and ignitor (ignition module)are probably OK..

if you had a scan tool that displayed live data..

you could look at the cranking RPM..  you might be able to see the cam sensor signal.  

Posted: 11/21/18
06:04 PM

Ok thanks for the information I’m going to try this and see if I can figure out what’s going on with it, my mechanic had a timing change light and he said it was running good but the distributor is brand new  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 11/21/18
09:37 PM

yea.. but it does NOT mean it works properly..  

Posted: 11/24/18
11:17 AM

Ok he said to return it and try another one so I will be trying that first thanks again for the information  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2019 Honda CR-V
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories: