Xml
Item Posts   

2003 Ford Taurus Gear Shifter stuck in park

| 
Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 07/08/18
03:49 PM

the brake light switch or the pigtail to it may be bad..

put on parking brake..  hopefully it will hold..

do not touch regular brake pedal.. turn key on one position.. but NOT enough to get the dash lights on..

the transmission shifter should come out of park now.. place in neutral.. step on brake.. turn key to start motor..

this gets you around the shift interlock SOMETIMES..

i actually left the shift interlock solenoid on my van unplugged.. i wondered why it would come out of park without touching the brake..

in looking at the shift interlock solenoid.. you have 3 wires to it..

cavity 1 is a Red and Light green wire from the brake light switch...  should light up your test light every time you depress the brake light switch.. i would probably want to check the power on this red and Light green strip wire right at the brake light switch.. i have had the internal switch contact lever break off after 6 or 7 years of use..  i am on the 4th or 5th in 500K on my van..

to see if it working.. turn on the hazard flashers.. are they blinking.. stop on the brake.. do the hazard flashers indicators on the dashboard  go solid.. not flashing if they don't then you have a problem with the brake light switch or the pigtail coming out of the harness that plugs into it..

the ORANGE wire in the shift interlock is in cavity 3.. that has power when the key is turned to the RUN position..

the Black wire.. is the GROUND .. its connected to ground connection G201..  somewhere probably under the left end of the dashboard..  

with a digital volt meter or even a test light.. please probe the Black wire with the test lead hooked to a Known good ground.. or a volt meter hooked to a good ground..  if the volt meter shows voltage.. you have a bad ground connection.. if the test light turns on you have a bad ground connection..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2019 Ford Taurus
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories: