Xml
Item Posts   

Got new tires, now mpg has decreased.

| 
crv58 crv58
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/18
Posted: 06/06/18
09:41 AM

I recently put new tires (Yokohama Geolander SUV G055) on my 2012 CRV EX-AWD. Soon afterwards drove over 1,500 miles for vacation and quickly noticed my mpg have dropped noticeably (according to the "menu" button "mpg range" info). What's going on? Is this normal with new tires and, if so, will the mileage per gallon recover? Do I need to "reset" the vehicle info button in some way? Wasn't expecting this. Thoughts?  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
09:50 AM

not enough info..

how much did it drop..

did you change tire size..

did you get the wheels aligned..

did you get any brake work done..

how long as it been since the tires were installed..

new tires are slightly taller than worn out tires of the same size.. this can throw things off.  

crv58 crv58
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/18
10:18 AM

Average mpg showed 21 mpg on the highway, which is way lower than before for the CR-V. "Range" for miles right after gas fill-up showed much lower as well (don't have specs right now); Tire size is the same as OEM; tires were installed (mount and balance, no wheel alignment done) about 30 days ago, no brake work performed. Thx!  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
10:28 AM

if you want to go deeper.

use a scan tool in live data or graphing mode and look at your short term fuel trims and your long term fuel trims..

see if you can keep it while at speed between 10% plus or minus of zero..

Zero is the best tune the factory could come up with for each  speed and load calculation .. they made dozens of trips with fleets of cars across the country to gather this data along with spending thousands of hours on the dyno..  

so perfect fuel trim would be zero.. going either side within 10% is totally expected.. if steady driving is farther than that..  additional diagnostics are needed..

you can get ELM327 devices for 15 to 40 bucks on amazon that work with a 5 buck app on most smart phones..  the better scan tools that are not crazy expensive are the ZX13 at harborfreight..  i would not get anything less than the ZX11.. the 13 is worth the extra 30 bucks.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 368 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 06/07/18
05:20 AM

First, new tires get worse fuel economy than worn tires.  That's because there is more mass in the tread and that mass is being deflected every time the tires rotate.

Second, you probably replaced the OE tires - the ones that came on the car from the factory.  OE tires are designed to give good fuel economy and wear and traction are secondary considerations.

Ya' see, there is a technological triangle involving traction, treadwear, and fuel economy - and the car manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards, so the tires they specify are great for fuel economy, and not so much for treadwear and traction.

Further, the tires you purchased are among the highest treadwear ratings, they aren't going to give good fuel economy compared to other tires.

So the bad news is that you took 3 hits in the fuel economy department.

The good news is that you will get better fuel economy as the tires wear - that the tires probably have better grip - and the tires will last a long time and maybe save you money in the long run.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: