Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

newbie question 2002 lancer 5spd 5th gear too short ??

| 
aidenmiller1880 aidenmiller1880
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/17
Posted: 05/09/17
08:29 AM

This is my first manual car so excuse me if my terminology isn't that great!

I just bought the car 3 months ago, it has 130k miles and I'm the 2nd owner. I've mainly been driving it around town and a bit on a highway (but not above 65mph)

My dad taught me to drive by listening to the engine to know when to upshift/downshift but I've also been looking at rpms. If I pay attention to the rpms I will shift up at 2.5-3 and downshift when the engine sounds bogged down/rpms are below 1.5-2

When driving, 4th and 5th gear seem EXTREMELY short. I will shift up into 4th at 40mph/3rpm and then have to shift up again to 5th at 50mph... Seems really short to me or am I wrong?

Additionally, I take trips on a toll road where the car will need to go 85-90mph for a good 2+ hours. But the way 5th gear sounds, she won't go above 70 without being very loud and rpms being up in the 4's. Which according to what I've read, 4rpms isn't that bad but if I listen to my dad's advice then the engine sounds awful and needs to shift up (but I can't since it's a 5 speed). I guess the question is, is it okay to drive the lancer at 85-90mph even if the engine sounds awful? Is it normal for manual transmissions to be that loud? I feel like even if it is okay to drive the car that fast for that long, the higher rpms are going to kill my mpg...

Any advice is appreciated!  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2121 | Joined: 08/14
11:31 AM

open the drivers door.. look in the door jam for a sticker that says what size tires were possible on the car..  then check your tire size..

a lot of custom rims use low profile tires that require more revolutions to go each mile.   this can make a huge difference in your top speed and engine speed at higher highway speeds..

some lancers came with 195-60R15 tires and those turn 859 revs per mile.

other lancers came with 185-65R14 and those turn 884 revs per mile..

the difference between 4th and 5th gear is not always that much ..

put a mark on the side of the tire straight down.. continue that mark onto the pavement. move your car forward till the mark touches the ground again.. place another mark on the ground .. measure between the marks on the ground..

there are 63,360 inches per mile.  that gives you a number to see what your revs per mile is.

one thing.. if you are going to do that kind of speeds with your engine.. make sure that you do your oil changes often.  use a quality oil and filters.  mobil 1 and mobil 1 filters.  

lancers also have water pumps that need to be changed once in a while.. along with timing belts.  you did not say which motor you have.

you might search around for slightly taller tires.. even if you get a second set of rims.. or borrow a set off a friends car that are taller and see how you like it..

4000 rpms at 90 miles an hour is kinda expected..  there is a lot of horsepower needed to push thru the air at that speed..  

11:51 AM

Sorry I forgot about the engine. I know for certain that it's a 4 cylinder and I believe 2 liters but not 100% sure.. It's an OZ Rally if that makes a difference. I would go and look but I'm in class currently. If the tires are the incorrect size, should I buy new ones right away or after the current ones wear out?

Would more tire revs per mile mean higher top speeds? Or the opposite?

I know the car has ~fancy~ rims but they came with the car from the dealership. So they shouldn't affect tire size, right?  

12:15 PM

more revs per mile means faster engine speeds..

i realized that you probably have aftermarket wheels and tires that is why i posted the info on how to measure tire roll out and to calculate how many revs per mile..  you still need to see what size tires the label said came with the car.

4,000 rpms at 90 is quite normal..

heck.. my former 66 GTO ran over 5,000 rpms at 90.   probably why i killed so many pontiac motors.. the big block chevy i dropped in could run 6,500 all day long.. and was a boat load of fun. but that was getting off thread..

you are probably going to be fine.   since you did not buy the car new.. who knows what different tire size it has. only you can read the tire size on the sidewall of the tires.  

12:20 PM

oh.. and the OZ rally version may have different gear ratios than a standard production everyday run of the mill version.

after a few minutes of searching..

the gear ratios for the 02-07 Lancers (tranny # F5M42)

mph @ 6000 rpm on 195/60/15
1st ... 3.583 @ 31.8 mph
2nd ... 1.947 @ 58.52 mph
3rd ... 1.379 @ 82.63 mph
4th ... 1.030 @ 110.63 mph
5th ... 0.767 @ 148.56 mph

Final Drive...3.722

If you want better gears than get ('01 & '02) 1.5 mirage gears.

1st and 2nd are the same but 3rd and 4th are shorter.  

Posted: 05/10/17
04:21 AM

So I looked at the tires and they're the exact size specified on the door sticker. I'm sorry... I don't understand the gear ratios. Where does the first number come from?

1st ... 3.583 @ 31.8 mph
2nd ... 1.947 @ 58.52 mph
3rd ... 1.379 @ 82.63 mph
4th ... 1.030 @ 110.63 mph
5th ... 0.767 @ 148.56 mph

and what does the final drive number mean. What's the unit? Sorry again.

4000rpms sounds fine to me as well but the car is REALLY loud. Is this an underlying mechanical issue I should address?  

Posted: 05/10/17
08:47 AM

the first 5 numbers are the Internal gear ratios in the transaxle between the gears you shift..

the final drive is the ring and pinion ratio.. like you would find in a rear end.  you add that to the gear ratio numbers to find out how fast the engine is spinning. its used by designers so your car is not a slug off the line and so it does not run out of RPMs at high speed..

i don't know why its really loud.. you can stop in almost any muffler shop for a quick inspection.. but they should show you damage ..  don't take their word that you need a new muffler because we can pinch it with pliers..

there are many options and aftermarket parts that could be  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Mitsubishi Lancer
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories: