Xml
Item Posts   

Lost razor blade

| 
braaduhh braaduhh
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/17
Posted: 05/03/17
08:10 AM

Hey everyone new guy here. Well I was scraping off the old vacuum pump gasket from the engine block (with a loose razor blade not a tool made for scraping ?) and OOPS! It slipped into the cracks past the cam and into the engine compartment that holds the vacuum pump cam timing spindle. I can't get it out. I can't even see it.Tried magnets. Tried scraping it out. No luck. Any ideas? At this point I'm wondering if I should just risk it and put the freshly cleaned and rebuilt vacuum pump back on and see if it works with a razor blade in its guts.

I guess I can always part it out

1974 Mercedes 240d  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2296 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/03/17
09:38 AM

the Lower Oil pan comes off really easy on those.. so you can flush it out with lots of oil with the valve cover removed..

please also while you have the lower oil pan off.. reach in thru that opening to the oil pump.. you will see a HEX shape device with holes drilled in the sides. that is the oil pump bypass valve. i can almost guarantee you that is you used a dull ended screw driver and without scratching the precision finished bore that you could push the valve piston down and it would not pop back up against the retaining rings leaving at least one of the holes in the side uncovered  allowing all the oil flowing from the pump to fall back into the pan..  the retaining ring comes out with care..  the piston will come out with ease after the wire ring is removed.  the last few i took apart. the spring was in either 5 or 7 pieces.  

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1682645-where-find-oil-pressure-relief-valve.html

or the whole replacement valve..

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/gb/Mercedes__240-D/PRESSURE-RELIEF-VALVE/7956998/6171800015.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

is yours broken. i don't have a clue.. if it fails it will cost you an engine..

having a razor blade down in the crankcase may also cost you an engine.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: