Xml
Item Posts   

200-4r Speedometer Gear replacement

| 
edfiero edfiero
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/30/17
04:29 AM

I'm the new owner of an 84 Buick Regal T-type.
The speed-o is off about 20% so I am trying to figure out what is going on with the Speed-o Gears. I think the trans has been changed in this car at some point, but I've confirmed its got the stock 3.42 rear end.

I've dropped the pan and took out the governor. It's got a white 13 tooth gear on it.

However I can't get the driven gear out. I've disconnected the speed-o cable, but the gear 'housing' didn't have that cover plate and bolt. It's missing. The gear assembly won't come out. I put some vice grips on and tried to rotate it back and forth gently. Also tried to pry it out with a screw driver. What could be going on?? How much force can apply without braking something?   Is there a trick to getting this thing out or did some dumbsh*t weld this gear when the lost the coverplate?

It looks like there is black gear in there, which probably needs to be changed.

I'd appreciate any advice.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2178 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 04/30/17
06:44 AM

a few things. that car should have a cruise control transducer up under the hood. those seize up from running with dried up oil.. they tear the speedo gears up in the transmission..

they are easily torn apart and some carefully placed oil from a zoom spout oiler will really go a long ways..  use extreme care..

to side step your stuck speedo gear housing. there are speedo gear ratio adapter boxes that thread right onto the speedo gear housing threads..

i should mention that i worked in a transmission shop early in my work life.. one of the guys had a tight one.. he put a washer and a speedo cable nut on it and popped it right out.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Buick Regal
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories: