Xml
Item Posts   

A/C compressor costs

| 
ScottAlero ScottAlero
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/19/17
10:17 PM

Bearings going out in the A/C compressor not 100% sure if it is the clutch or compressor itself. Can the clutch bearing be replaced without removing the compressor? for cost reason,i am sure this is way cheaper then draining the system and refilling or is it recommended to just replace the entire compressor.Can a mechanic diagnose if it is just the clutch bearing?  I get my own parts and of course a clutch bearing is less then a whole compressor.  Thanks for any help/advise.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2196 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 04/20/17
07:02 AM

it really varies if the clutch can be replaced without evacuating the freon into a recycling machine, and removing the compressor to service it.. at that point its easier to replace the compressor..

the compressor clutch and pulley do come off.. most of the time it requires special pullers and special tools to pull the clutch cover and then the pulley off without damaging the seal or the shaft on the compressor that will cause it to fail.

somebody has a video on installing a new pulley and clutch on a V5 compressor.. i am just guessing because of your user name having alero in it that you might have a V5.. you will need to look for the first part on how to remove it.. i don't know if you can as you did not mention which model.. and amazingly.. some parts stores rent the tools to do this.

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: