Xml
Item Posts   

newbie have some questions

| 
dakotasuth dakotasuth
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/15
Posted: 08/19/15
08:23 PM

Hey everybody.  Glad to be here. I hate to ask questions like this but i have had some bad experiences with  tires both personally and professionally . I am an auto mechanic  but rest assured about tires we arent all that knowledgeable  in general. Ive had alot  of junk Hercules  tires at work  cause  weird vibrations. I have personally had a pair  of sumic by sumitomo  be god awful  vibrations  bad in the rain ect. And a pair if goodyears have  similar  issues the continental contipro contacts on my 14 focus are at about 4/32 so i am thinking about replacement .
Now my question  is this being so many  brands of tires how do you  know what  the best buy is. Which company as a whole makes the best quality tire. I dont need a super car tire just a good all season tire. What brand is the overall  best in  quality, ride and price? Thanks everyone.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2076 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/19/15
08:34 PM

exactly what size do you need.. we have a forum member who really knows tires.. he drops in a few times a week. usually early in the mornings.

year make model..

tire size on the car and what sizes are listed on the tire placard/sticker either in the door jam, glove box or trunk.. i don't know where they put them .. and i take it you have a 2014 focus..

being a mechanic.. did ford ever improve the size and shape of ford focus tie rod end studs.. the early 2000's versions had an undercut that took the 8mm thread diameter to about 5MM..  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 346 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 08/20/15
07:15 AM

I think I am the guy being referred to above - and I appreciate the vote of confidence.

- BUT -

I used to work for one of the major tire manufacturers and I don't think it is right for me to get involved in brand specific recommendations.  Nevertheless, I do have some comments.

All the major tire manufacturers have good quality (say, the top 10).  Those manufacturers do make off brand tires - and some of those off brands are good quality, and lower priced, but it varies a lot.

But what you appear to be searching for is a way to weigh price vs quality - and what you seem to be focusing in on in the quality area is vibration.  I don't know if you can do that easily.

Since you are a mechanic, you will know about your local tire dealers - and I suggest you start there.  Get their recommendations.

- AND -

There are 2 things you need to know:

1)  There is 3 way technology triangle with treadwear, traction, and rolling resistance.  In order to improve one of those, one of the other properties has to be sacrificed. (or both!)  You need to decide what compromise works for you.

2)  The trade off is between handling (how quickly the steering reacts), and ride harness.  You need to decide which is more important.

And one last side note:  The 2 brands you mentioned:  One is a 3rd tier brand made by a 3rd tier manufacturer, and the other is a private brand that could have been made by any tire manufacturer.  Both of those are risky from the point of view of vibration free operation  

Shadow Manimal Shadow Manimal
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/15
Posted: 10/31/15
01:54 AM

Hi. What you expect from a tire decide "the best" tire for you. Goodyear (3rd in the world) and Sumitomo (6th in the world) both are among the giants in the tire manufacturers but it is likely that you didn't choose the right tires for your car. Not all the all season tires are good in grip in all conditions.

Tell me what are your initial expectations from the tire you need? Good grip? silent ride?  

arhenry10 arhenry10
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/20/17
06:40 PM

Goodyear does have ultra grip and all season tires that reduces road noise, making the ride comfortabe. A friend of mine bought those tires from 4WheelOnline and loved it.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 346 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 04/23/17
05:12 AM

I think this has more to do with matching your needs to the product being offered, than which brand it is.  Most tire manufacturers offer a wide range of good quality products at a reasonable prices.  

driftinJ driftinJ
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/25/17
06:42 PM

Us jeep people here are impressed with Toyo, BFG and Goodyear tires. We got AT Open Country for our right after we installed the Rubicon express lift and it gave a huge difference from stock tires and suspension set up. Smooth with less noise on highway.  

jonahcluster jonahcluster
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/26/17
02:52 PM

BUY REAL & FAKE PASSPORTS, I.D'S, DRIVERS LICENSE, BIRTH CERTIFICATES, RESIDENCE , GREEN CARDS, VISAS,ETC,PHONE. (872) 256-2799. EMAIL : worlddataprinters111@gmail.com

CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION AND PROCEDURE .
FAST AND AFFORDABLE !!! CONTACT US FOR INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET YOURS AT ;
EMAIL : worlddataprinters111@gmail.com
PHONE : (872) 256-2799.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: