Item Posts   

Cracked condenser

| 
bobbybb bobbybb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/17
Posted: 05/18/17
11:11 AM

Hey all,

When i bought my car it had an issue with the air con. I took it back and they gassed it. Afterwards it made a humming noise when in use, but worked. It has recently gone again, and i took it in for repair. They are now saying that the condenser possibly has a crack and that this has been caused by a stone flicking up and hitting it.

Now i've been told this is possible but not particularly likely.

Does that sound feasible or could there be any other explanation? I just want to be sure im not being taken for a ride here...

Thanks in advance!  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2064 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/18/17
08:04 PM

rocks can damage condensers..

rocks can damage radiators.. and a lot of condensers act like a shield for radiators..

i was helping my mom move from so cal to northern washington to be close to by sister.  in moms pickup flat towing a land rover.. just crossing the columbia river bridge leaving oregon and coming into washington  a rock kicked up from a truck and hit the radiator in the pickup.. it was spraying water up and over the hood.. onto the windshield.  i pulled off at the next exit.  pulled into a gas station.. ask where the local radiator shop was.  i pulled across the street as it was 445 pm on a friday of a 3 day weekend.  do you have a radiator for this truck.. nope.. do you have a used one that still holds pressure.. yes.. how much.. come back tuesday.. i can't i am stranded i have to go 250 miles more. just sell it to me i can put it in.  nope.. i am going home.. is this your car.. yep.. oh.. well my truck is blocking it and won't move till i get a radiator ..

i wish condensers were that easy to put in.

they are not..  and they do get abused by road debris.  one old nissan i work on.. had a piece of steel bar go thru the grill the condenser. the radiator.. the hood and into the windshield next to the drivers head.  just missing her.. so a new radiator.. a different hood and a replacement of the windshield and she was rolling without ac..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: