Item Posts   

Trouble after brake job

| 
ryancollins226 ryancollins226
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/17
Posted: 05/02/17
08:34 AM

Hi there,

Ever since undertaking my first ever brake job I'm having a steering issue. I replaced the discs and pads on my 2007 Ford Fiesta and now I believe my nearside left caliper is sticking. I completely flushed the system and bleed and when I brake it's perfectly straight. However while driving at speeds over 10mph to maintain the vehicle going straight the steering wheel is turning right slightly. I had the alignment checked and everything is spot on - must have been the most honest tyre shop on the planet!  However now I'm stumped. Everything is lubed and torqued correctly. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

Any ideas would be handy, I've got a little feeling I might have to rebuild the caliper.

Any ideas are appreciated  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2296 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/02/17
10:53 AM

that model is not sold in the united states so i am having issues looking to see how the calipers are mounted to the brackets.

something has to SLIDE..  the pistons are on one side of the caliper. to exert equal force the caliper has bushings its slides on.. those have to be properly lubed with either white lithium grease or brake caliper slide grease.. called SILGLIDE .. there are some synthetic versions also.

i have run into people that have mistakenly used Dielectric tune up grease.  dielectric tune up grease is used for thermal transfer.. it has dissolved solids in it that will become solid again. seizing the brake caliper sides tighter than you would believe.. last one i even tried to get free was so locked i could not move it with the 30 ton shop press.  just had to replace the caliper bracket.

this is what i think may be wrong..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: