Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Do i need to change oil every three months?

| 
Leo Parker Leo Parker
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 04/27/17
11:24 PM

I drive my car very little just 3000-4000 miles a year. So i need an oil change every three months?  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2121 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 04/28/17
11:02 AM

you can probably get by with oil changes every six months..  changing the oil does several things.. it gets the dirt out of the oil .. stuff in oil can be carbon.. slight amounts of metal coming.. it also gets the acids that build up from moisture.  please if you only drive you car a few miles..  try to take the long way home once in a while. so you put 5 to 10 miles on it to bring the engine oil and transmission fluid up to normal operating temps.  this will cause any moisture that collects to evaporate out.

getting on the freeway once in a while also.  doing 10 miles at normal freeway speeds can help also..

you do have the option of changing to mobil1 oil and filters.. you can go much longer with that product.  i have personal experience of engines lasting really long time with that in the engine.. doing filters every 3 to 5 thousand miles just topping off the oil.  my cousin showed me this trick. he 72 plymouth valant had 244k miles on it when the mechanic crashed it.  my personal ford van was done that way.. it has 530K on the original short block.. other issues like head gaskets and water pumps did fail.. but the engine is still nice and clean inside.  

Leo Parker Leo Parker
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/17
Posted: 05/01/17
10:51 PM

Thanks for your answer.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: