Xml
Item Posts   

Repair or Replace 2001 Toyota?

| 
madalyn.hope madalyn.hope
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/17
Posted: 02/24/17
09:45 PM

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla S with 193,061 miles. The car is completely paid off, obviously. The car leaks oil, and I have to put a quart of oil every two fill-ups. The catalytic converter converter is bad, and the car constantly has the check engine light on, I think the converter is the only for that reason. My question is, should I keep investing in repairs, or should I just get a new car? In July of last year it got new ignition coils and spark plugs, and in June it got a new timing chain tensioner, sepentine belt, alternator assembly, waterpump, front breaks replaced and some of the oil leaks fixed for $1300. The car is now acting funny again and the guess is that I will have to replace the control arms, but I haven't taken it in to get checked out yet. I absolutely love my car, but I don't want to put another couple thousand in it to die on me. Should I just go ahead and invest in a newer car, or is this one worth investing in keeping around?  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2028 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 02/24/17
11:45 PM

what you do is really up to you and your wallet..

you will miss your 2001 when its gone..  new ones are way different..

plug in a scan tool .. you can get the code read at some parts stores... decent consumer scan tools can be had for 100 bucks .. HF 62120 versions.. or at amazon or ebay as an ELM327 device.

cats are passive... they depend on the fuel control and spark control system to send them the perfect exhaust with just enough oxygen and just enough fuel unburned to heat the cat to reaction temp.. where it can cause the emission gasses to be burned up or converted.  

control arms are fairly quick to change.. i used to do them in 15 minutes each with air tools. but then needed to do an alignment.

there are things to do depending on which codes.. and how much damage was done because it was driven with the check engine light being on.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Toyota Corolla
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories: