Item Posts   

Replaced battery antitheft alarms going off car wont start

| 
buano90 buano90
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/17
Posted: 05/14/17
05:47 AM

Hi
I replaced the battery in my sons 2011 Kia Forte sx.When I connected the negative cable the horn and lights started going off and the car would not start.”I found out this is probably the anti theft feature”.I tried a number of solutions I found online and discovered the remote entry/ starter was not working. I replaced the batteries in the remote hooked up the car battery and used the remote to stop the alarms.The car started fine  drove it around and turned the car off and started it a number of times with no problems. My son took it home that night and the alarms started going off again. He tried to use the remote again but it’s dead won't even unlock the doors.I was told the remote and car have to be reprogramed. However the dealership wants a fortune.
My question is can the anti theft be reset? I read there was a reset near the fuse box in the door but i can’t seem to find it. Can anything else be done? I’ve read this is not uncommon. I have tried a lot of things recommended on line but nothing has worked so far. I can't believe changing the battery is going to cost upwards of $500! thank for any help  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2257 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 05/14/17
08:24 AM

are the battery connections tight..

is there any corrosion on the battery cables..  HOT WATER works best. with a chunk of scotch bright pad..

if the corrosion is in the bolted together piece it will have to be photographed and unbolted so some cleaning can be done..

why is the alarm triggering.. the starter pulls a lot of power.. sometimes more than a dirty or loose connection can handle. so the voltage drops below 10 volts into the car and the alarm things somebody is tampering with the battery or car..

you might also try posting this over at  be sure to put the car year, make and model with alarm in the title so kia mechanics will see it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/new/  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: