Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

2000 Dodge Durango V8 5.7 transmission will not go into gear.

| 
Jonathon Masters Jonathon Masters
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/17
Posted: 02/21/17
06:58 PM

My friend called and said he jumped his daughters car off and now it won't go into gear. Naturally I assumed the easy fix and volunteered to help, it was not the shift linkage. The only code it gave was P0753, Shift Solenoid A. I replaced that, changed the filter, and topped it back off with fresh ATF4. I cleared the code and started it up, still won't go into gear. Also the code has not come back so I have no hints from the computer as to the problem. The handle moves like normal, the reverse lights come on, and it will only start in neutral and park. My last idea is something shorted out in the PCM when he jumped the car off. But I'm not real sure on the best way to go about tracking that.

I am an engine person not a transmission guy, but I am hoping to learn a few things off of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I left out something so please just ask anything you need to know.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2073 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 02/21/17
07:37 PM

will it go in reverse and manual low gear forward??  if not. the transmission may be broken internally. reverse should be a non computer controlled... in manual low shifter position.. you will usually have only second gear as a limp home.

i have not personally run across this code yet.. i expect it any day.. but lets see what they say.

Before you do anything else.. please run this complete voltage drop test..
http://imgur.com/a/wHJue  

try to include a bunch of the fuses in the underhood fuse block during test 5.  

why... because the underhood fuse block can be an issue.

When Monitored and Set Condition: P0753-TRANS 3-4 SHIFT SOL/TRANS RELAY CIRCUITS
When Monitored: Continuously with the key on.
Set Condition: This code will set if the voltage detected on the 3-4 Shift Solenoid Control circuit at the PCM is different than the expected voltage.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
P1765 DTC PRESENT
INTERMITTENT - 3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT
TRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL OUTPUT
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN INTERNAL
FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND INTERNAL TRANSMISSION RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO SOLENOID CIRCUITS INTERNAL 3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO OTHER CIRCUITS
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO OTHER CIRCUITS INTERNAL TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY - POOR CONTACTS
PCM - 3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT

all this good words..

there are 18 steps to diagnose a P0753 on those..  

do you have a scan tool that will let you look at transmission data stream also.. it allows you to select engine or transmission at the set up stage for live data.

do you have access to a factory service manual for that year..  either in print or online from places like eautorepair.net or alldatadiy.com

if your email is accurate.. let me know..  

Posted: 02/22/17
04:17 AM

It will not move in any gear.

I will do the drop test this afternoon but I have already checked most everything, just not In that order.

I don't have the live data scan tool, I only have the simple one that allows me to read the codes and erase them. But if you could give me instructions on what to monitor I will be purchasing one eventually.  

07:13 AM

Snap on... OTC.. Bosch.. and others offer professional scan tools but are out of reach of most ..  

there are some from autel.. like this one offered thru harborfreight stores..

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/autel-maxidas-automotive-diagnostic-and-analysis-system-62385.html

the wimpy users manual.. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/62000-62999/62385.pdf

these or the 60694 are usually the best buy but don't do all the stuff the expensive version does.. http://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-can-professional-scan-tool-62120.html

Without it moving in ANY GEAR.. its probably going to be something broken inside the transmission..

unless the transfer case broke also..  if it makes a ratcheting or buzzing noise going back into park or has no wheel holding in park.. could be in the transfer case.  

02:16 PM

The guy ended up giving me the car because he feared it needed a new transmission and didn't feel it was worth the money. So I will probably go ahead and drop the transmission. Like I said, I'm hoping to learn a few things off of this. Any ideas what I should be looking to be broken inside?  

07:40 PM

that is a A518 or a 46RH or 46RE  

some really good videos on the 46RE

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=46re  

Posted: 03/03/17
08:35 PM

Alright, update and information request. I dropped the valve body and dissambled it this evening. I don't know if it is THE issue but it is certainly an issue. Almost all of the valves were stuck. It took about 10/15 minutes a piece to get them out without damaging them. There was gunk all in the whole thing and small globs of black goo. I have everything soaking in mineral spirits now and will reassemble it Sunday.
My concern is where all of that came from. If I fix it and stick it back in it may run for a few days or few weeks if I'm lucky, until whatever caused this builds up enough to clog them again. Any ideas?
I greatly appreciate the help.  

Posted: 03/03/17
11:02 PM

carefully pry open the filter and inspect the element.  and inspect the fluid left in the bottom of the pan.. and the fluid you drained out.. hopefully it went into a clean drain...

if you have good in the valve body .. you are going to have goo thru the rest of the passages.. so its rebuild time..  with a very careful wash..

you will also want to replace the transmission oil cooler lines.. and probably the radiator since the transmission oil cooler is inside it.

you can probably with a friend and a variable speed electric drill.. run a brand new speedometer cable core like a sewer snake thru the transmission oil cooler lines with both ends detached and the radiator end slipped inside something to stop the end from coming out and damaging the radiator.  there are special cans of transmission oil cooler flush..

got pictures.. upload them to Imgur.com .. you don't have to make it public.. just paste the URL here ..  its crazy easy. and its free.. make it an album.. or upload a video to youtube and paste the share link here..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Dodge Durango
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories: