Xml
Item Posts   

Dilemma~Need Advice on Previous Repair

| 
lucyscap lucyscap
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/16/13
05:08 PM

Confused Need some advice on how this problem should be handled. Last August,our son, who resides out of state and coming to visit, had the alternator fail on his Volvo S60 not far from our home-----so we had it towed to our local mechanic for repair. Two days later, on the highway, he almost lost control of the car. Pulled over and a kind fellow looked and told him the bolt from the steering wheel pump had come out and fluid sprayed over the engine. It was returned to the same mechanic who said his employee had neglected to put the O ring back on when bolting in the pump. They cleaned it and supposedly repaired the problem. Just now my son called from out of state saying he once again almost lost control of the car and that fluid was coming out from the same bolt. What is the mechanic's liability? The car is 150 miles away. Any recommendations greatly appreciated!!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
06:17 PM

issue is will the local mechanic cover it..

will he pay or send a tow truck to retrieve the car.

or will he cover the other shops bill..

something ain't right.. somewhere here.

could also be the WRONG material ORing... i have ask for specific size orings from parts stores only to be given generic buna orings.. that will NOT withstand power steering fluid ... they melt and blow out..

there are about 8 or more different materials for Orings..  

lucyscap lucyscap
07:38 PM

Thank you for your reply!
The information about the O-ring material is very helpful.
I guess my main worry is he will say it is not his problem.
Just wondering if legally he is responsible, since none of this would not have occurred had it been bolted correctly.
I am grateful my son did not have an accident.
Want to present a comprehensive case to the mechanic on Monday.....  

lucyscap lucyscap
Posted: 02/17/13
11:57 AM

See I made an error in original message---it's the "power steering pump" that apparently was removed to repair alternator and not properly reattached.  

lucyscap lucyscap
Posted: 02/22/13
12:48 PM

UPDATE: OK, so I got a few facts wrong--my son was away--just got informed.
What happened originally was that when the power steering pump was remounted (after the new alternator was installed) there is a "periscope " pipe that has a HEX nut on the end. Apparently, the threads were stripped on that when tightened.....thus causing the fluid leak and subsequent replacement of O ring. When I spoke to the mechanic last week he said he was only liable for 90 days on labor, 1 yr on parts. He said he would not pay for an open ended "bill" or towing. So, my question is-----is the "stripped" area a problem that can't be repaired, only replaced? The fluid is leaking from that hex nut. I have not discussed this new info with mechanic and he seemed kind of fuzzy on details. Any advice appreciated!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 02/22/13
05:10 PM

you never listed a year or which possible engine that car might have... as i don't work on a lot of newer volvos.. i would like to look up some of the components to see whats going on..

have one mechanic call the other...

pay for towing to get the car back ...

rent a truck and car trailer to pick it up.. or a truck and dolly.. if you don't have an proper TOW vehicle....  there are also transportation companies.. but towing companies if you are NOT in a hurry.. when they have a tow thats going that way.. may give you a discount so they don't have to deadhead back empty..  but it might be a few days before they could get your car back .. at that point it will be sitting collecting storage bills at the far end...

best is to have the 2 mechanics talk...

do you have AAA...  or live in california???

stripped threads.. are usually out of the  OWNERS pocket.. they could have been stripped before the alternator was repaired by the last mechanic.. or he or one of his techs could have stripped them.. did it leak before??? but thats not going to carry much weight..

i know out of the pocket is not what owners like to hear.. and it depends..on how they got stripped..

if they were stripped when they were removed for alternator replacement.. that tech should have flagged that and talked to his service manager or shop owner. as how to proceed..

please.. post an exact year and motor of your volvo.. so i can do research on the various parts..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Volvo S60
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com