Xml
Item Posts   

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse....Car Wont Start....Help Please

| 
Cara Cara
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/02/13
03:44 PM

Hi Everyone i was looking for a little help.  If anyone can give us any help at all it would be greatly appreciated.

My car details

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
2.4 Liter Engine
Automatic Transmission.

We were driving down the highway and the car just lost all power. The rpms went down to 0. There was no warning or noises or anything, it just happened. Prior to this we did not have any problems with the car. The engine turns over and it sounds like it wants to start, its like its not getting any fuel.

We took the fuel pump out and hooked it up to a battery to see if it was working and it seems to be fine.
We took out the fuel pump replays and tested them as well and they also seem to be working fine.
We checked the fuses and they all see fine as well.

What else could we look at that would cause this?
is there any way to know if the fuel filter is clogged? I hate to buy one for almost $100.00 if that is not the problem

any suggestions are so appreciated.

thanks Smile  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 02/02/13
09:47 PM

first.. check for trouble codes with a scan tool...

does the tachometer move when you crank the engine..

does the scan tool show RPMs while cranking...  

does it show cam sensor rpms...

pull the spark plugs...  run a compression test..

you could have lost a timing belt... they  are known to strip when driving..

usually when starting..   you can also pull either the upper timing cover or the inspection plug.. that are on some ... to see if the cam/crank timing marks line up still...

when you turn the key on.. the fuel pump should run for 2 seconds.. then shut off.. and come back on while cranking...

does it have any kind of aftermarket alarm system that could have failed.. shutting off the engine...  

Tami.P6 Tami.P6
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 02/08/13
09:08 AM

May be alternator has some problem or may be you should get a new starter.
Timing belt can also be a problem if battery is working.
Just check it out, may be it will help.  
Mark’s Old Towne Service, Inc. has been providing high quality fleet maintenance since 1983. At our state of the art truck service center, located in the heart of Anaheim right off the 55/57/91 freeways

ranjana.kavarnar ranjana.kavarnar
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/15/13
05:54 AM

One point: If the battery is dead because you left the lights on, or you cranked AC/DC all night long, be sure to actually charge the battery. Don't just jumpstart your vehicle and make the poor alternator do all that charging at the same time that it's trying to supply the current to other systems. I know, I know, that may not be realistic when some kindly stranger is giving you a jump in the parking lot at midnight in a blowing snowstorm

Read more: Troubleshooting -- and Fixing -- a Car that Won't Start - Popular Mechanics  

YourMechanic YourMechanic
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/15/13
12:11 PM

I would suggest to find a mechanic.

"is there any way to know if the fuel filter is clogged?"  If the fuel filter is clogged than there should have been signs of symptoms.  However, if you still want to check if the fuel filter is clogged, there should be an arrow pointing towards a particular direction, you should be able to blow through it. If the air doesn't flow through then it's clogged.  
_______
Otto Ym
Car Service Guru
YourMechanic, Inc.
yourmechanic.com
facebook.com/yourmech
twitter.com/yourmechanic
youtube.com/yourmechanictv

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Button Getmyprice