Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

One bad cylinder, Disable fuel injector??

| 
norm321 norm321
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 02/19/13
09:52 PM

Hello, have a 1995 Honda Civic with one bad cylinder. It has a burnt or stuck valve and low compression on cylinder #3. It still runs and I need to drive it for a while yet until I can get another vehicle. All in all it runs pretty good. My question is should I disable(unplug)the fuel injector to the bad cylinder. Is the fuel being burnt or is it just going into the crankcase? Thanks!!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 02/20/13
07:53 AM

are you sure it does not have a blown head gasket??

disabling one fuel injector is pretty straight forward.. just unplug it..

you will continue to pump air through the exhaust ...  if combustion is not happening with the injector plugged in at higher speeds.. it will go out the exhaust and some into the crankcase.. depending if the exhaust valve is burned or the piston is damaged..

one thing.. without any combustion happening in the disconnected cylinder.. the excess oxygen coming out that cylinder will dilute the burned exhaust and create a slight drive ability issue.

have you done a compression test???

checked the valve adjustment..

checked the cooling system that its not blowing coolant out..

have you checked that the injector is not really clogged.. hard to check usually..  

norm321 norm321
12:34 PM

Hi,

yes a compression check was done and #3 cylinder was at only 30 lbs and the other 3 were normal.

valve adjustment was not done but the valve cover was removed to try to free the problem valve, no luck.

I just checked the coolant level and it was a little low in the coolant recovery tank, not empty though.

I am just trying to avoid unburnt gas getting into the crankcase if it isn't being ignited and causing more problems.

Do you recommend unplugging the injector??

Thanks for your reply!!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
05:37 PM

try it... its only a few seconds to unplug it...

only a few more to plug it back in...  

norm321 norm321
Posted: 03/15/13
04:00 PM

I haven't tried to unplug the injector. I have be driving it and keeping an eye on the oil. The oil doesn't have any gas smell by checking it and smelling the oil. The only time I notice a slight gas smell is when I start it in the garage so I assume I am losing some fuel through the exhaust. The coolant level is staying up so I think the head gasket is ok. It is running so I don't want to mess with it. Leaving well enough alone.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Honda Civic
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Coupe, Sedan
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com