Xml
Item Posts   

VW jetta wagon engine oil light

| 
akrrs7 akrrs7
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/22/13
07:22 PM

2005 VW Jetta Wagon, manual transmission. Engine oil light comes on for a few minutes on starting a very cold engine, then goes off. Checked engine oil level....looks good. Happened today for the first time. Outside temps in the teens today......brrrrrr. Is this expected ? I just bought the car a few months ago. Runs great otherwise. On start, shifting between gears feels very stiff...but loosens up after 5-7mins of driving. Should i be worried and get this checked ?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 01/23/13
07:02 AM

its TOO COLD for the weight of oil you are currently running...

please open the owners manual and examine the charts for the specific engine oil weights for various outside temps...

please do not operate the engine with the OIL LIGHT ON...  extreme and very expensive engine damage will result..

the oil pressure light does not turn off until the engine oil pressure comes up above 5 to 7 PSI or about .5 BAR    without oil pressure the very soft faced bearings will be in direct contact with the crank and camshaft journal surfaces.. the friction will heat up the surfaces and destroy the bearing surfaces and transfer weld metal to the crank and cam journals.

if you don't have your car owners manual... post that info.. or talk to your VW dealer service department..

you can also convert to a fully synthetic engine oil ... there are several brands that are not really effected by the cold weather..

here is what the oil spec chart should say

5W30 or 5W20 -22F(-30c) to 18F (-10C)

10w30 or 10w40 0F(-20c) to 60F(15c)

15w50 or 15w40 4F(-17c) to 95F (34c)

20w50 or 20w40 15F(-10c) to 95F (34c)  

akrrs7 akrrs7
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/23/13
11:41 PM

Thanks much for your reply. It did not come on at all today.....huge relief. I've got 5w40 oil in the car right now. Does it help to idle and warm up the car to build up the engine oil pressure ?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com