Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

used BMW or Mercedes convertible — advice?

| 
CKDexterHaven CKDexterHaven
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/07/12
10:54 PM

Considering a 2002-05 BMW, versus a 2004-05 Mercedes CLK 500.

With the BMW, either the 325 or 330ci, i suppose. I was leaning toward the 330, but i'm 45, not a hot-rod. I really don't drive fast. I just moved to Los Angeles from NYC. Lived my entire adult life in Manhattan, without a car, and so at this point/age, i really want to buy something i'm going to like and enjoy, rather than going for the very most practical choice (Honda, Toyota, etc.).

I've been counseled in a BMW forum that i want the 330ci, for the horsepower, i guess. But, i'm currently sharing a Mini Cooper S, and realizing how little i really 'push' a car. I'm a smooth driver, and when shifting, i rarely push the revs. Like, at all. That said, i do enjoy driving and the aesthetics and 'sensual' benefits of a performance car are factors that do matter to me.

So, there are two questions, really.
1. ) between the BMW and the Merc.
2. ) If a BMW, how much would i miss the performance of the 330 versus a 325?
Okay, so there are three questions....
3. ) If my choices in BMW are between a newer (04-05) 325 versus an older (02-03) 330, does the age matter? Or, same with mileage.... Lower mileage 325 versus higher 330? All things equal, of course i'd prefer a lower mileage 330, ***

I would love to buy a manual, but getting used to LA traffic has me convinced the shiftable auto is the way to go. I'll save the real shifting for my next car.

Thanks in advance.  

Nick.Joel Nick.Joel
User | Posts: 154 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 09/12/12
07:14 AM

I would suggest you a BMW. See, both this brands are reliable and do have class. But I prefer BMW over Mercedes. And it doesn't make big difference between 325 and 330...good luck!  
www.ronduprattford.com

paducah-car-dealers paducah-car-dealers
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/15/12
12:50 AM

The location of Marion car dealerships made my choice!

I had a 1993 BMW 325i and I never had the slightest bit of trouble with that car.  It was great.  The didn't have the 330 out yet when I bought mine but I would have went for the extra horsepower.

Mileage isn't an issue with a BMW they will last forever if taken care of.  So if you want more horsepower go with the 330 if it is in good shape.

As far as the difference between a Mercedes and BMW where you live there is none.  The reason why I say that is because there are BMW and Mercedes dealers on every corner to service it.  I live in a Southern Illinois and the closest BMW used car dealer is in Paducah, Ky about 15 minutes away.  The closest Mercedes dealer was a Marion Illinois car dealership about 1 hour away.  So I choose BMW for the closer service center. There were some Cape Giradeau car dealerships that sold BMW but they also were 1 hour away.

Good Luck with your choice.  I hope that you enjoy your car.  
paducah car dealers

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com