Xml
Item Posts   

700-R4 Post rebuild problems :(

| 
brianj_92505 brianj_92505
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 07/15/12
01:25 PM

Last year I rebuilt my 700r4, it was the first time I had ever worked on an automatic transmission and it seemed to have been a success. The truck that it’s in is not my primary vehicle so I don’t drive it much. Soon after the rebuild I noticed it slipping, it was low on fluid and filling solved the problem. The leak appears to be from the drain plug on the pan. I don’t know why someone made this modification and I wished I had just got a new pan at the time. I’d often go 3 or 4 weeks without using the truck and when I did I’d just add a pint of fluid or whatever was needed and remind myself to fix that leak when I had some time to kill.
  Then winter came and a nasty snow storm had my car snowbound in the driveway. So I got out the 4wd truck and promptly got stuck in the alley way behind my house. I start doing the fast forward/reverse shifting trying to rock it out of the wheel ruts no doubt putting a lot of stress on the trans. It took quite a bit of this but I got it out and everything seemed fine. I parked in a parking lot across from my house that had been freshly plowed. Later when I went to use the truck I found that I had no reverse gear but even stranger was that I couldn’t roll it backward in neutral either even with the engine shut off. Only after putting the transfer case into neutral was I able to roll it. The forward gears still worked so when I drove to work I just made sure I parked appropriately.
  I’ve only driven it a couple of times since then and am now getting ready to drop the trans and see what happened. I recently noticed that the truck moves forward when the shift lever is in neutral so I’m thinking one of the clutch packs must be stuck. I can’t remember if I checked my fluid level that crazy day in the snow so I may have been low. Is it possible the clutch pack fused (clutches to steels) so well that even without piston pressure they’re holding back reverse motion?  

Posted: 07/15/12
01:28 PM

I meant to title this "Post-rebuild problems" because I had problems after my rebuild not because I want people to post their problems.  

Posted: 07/23/12
01:02 PM

No replies. Well I got the trans on the bench, opened it up and it was as I suspected; the forward clutch had the frictions fused to the steels. I had pry them apart with a screwdriver.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com