Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

  
 
 
Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

99' Ford E250 w/ Triton V8 - dead battery from sitting

 
 | 
tittiger tittiger
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/30/12
11:56 PM

Have had to put 4 batteries in it this year.
If I let it sit. One time only a week another time a month.
They battery is dead and needs replaced even thought it is a new battery.

Do the plates sulfate this quickly?
What are possible causes?

TIA
Joe  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/01/12
07:01 AM

this is going to get several answers to your questions...

deeply discharged batteries..

if they have been discharged...  DO NOT TRY TO JUMP START the battery..  DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE the battery on a conventional battery charger...    

deeply discharged batteries can be brought back to life if they have not been boosted or attempted to be charged other than in this special way... and i have brought back many batteries from 0.0 volts..

using a Current limiting adjustable voltage power supply...   set at 0.25 amps at 17 volts..   hook up the battery and let it sit for several days..  

if the sulfate crystals are not hardened by attempting to recharge or boost the battery.. it can be slowly charged and returned to service at  only slightly reduced abilities..

so.. when the vehicle does not start.. check the battery voltage with a digital volt meter...  digital volt meters are cheep.  measure your battery voltage at the posts...

meter set to 20 volts DC..      i normally do this test ... engine off.. and after having the headlights on for one minute.. then the headlights turned off.. this removes any surface charge from the battery that can throw off the actual results..

12.65 volts is a fully charged battery..
12.45 volts is a 3/4 charged battery..
12.25 volts is a 1/2 charged battery..


######################

now what causes the battery to discharge when the truck or car is not driven..

this is known as a parasitic draw...

96 and newer vehicles have several circuits that stay active for up to 6 minutes after shut down...

properly testing the parasitic draw requires various tools...


engine off...
it can be checked with a circuit tester hooked between a single removed battery cable and the post it was removed from..  if your test light glows.. you have something drawing power..  but how much..??


with a digital volt meter you can set it to 10 amps DC., 15 amps DC.. 20 Amps DC hooked across a disconnected battery cable and the post it was disconnected from..  0.020 to 0.030 milliamps is an accepted parasitic draw for most cars...


the proper way to dig deep is to use a battery disconnect switch.. on one post.. with the cable hooked up to the end.

Batterydisconnectswitch

start the engine and let it run for 2 minutes..   shut the engine off. . roll the drivers window down..  get out take the keys with you. .. close and lock the door in a normal fashion..

wait 6 minutes...      with the volt meter set to DC amps...  and clipped to either side of the green battery disconnect..  after the six minutes..  unscrew the green knob a few turns..  this disconnects the cable.. but since your amp meter is in circuit.. all the power the car is using is now run through your amp meter so the car does not know its been disconnected.. so all the individual circuits are active... so the parasitic draw can be measured...

a low amp current probe can also be used..  they cost anywhere from 90 to 150 bucks and you need a digital volt meter to plug most into...    a low amp current probe clamps over the wire .. but has a scale maximum 40 amps... and will read milliamps..  these are professional mechanics type of tools.. this allows you to clamp on around various wires to find the draw...

if you have a parasitic draw of more than 0.035 milliamps. this is 3/100s of a amp.. you can start pulling fuses one at a time while somebody watches the meter...

HINT.. there are fuses under the hood.. also a lamp under the hood to disconnect..  start with that fuse box...  then work on the inside..  the first circuit to be disconnected should be the dome lights.. as your finger will fall off if you have to hold the dome light switch button for long...

next is the radio fuse...   i have found some aftermarket radios that pulled a 1/4 amp when the key was turned off..  the battery would be too low to start the car after the second day parked..

remove and replace the fuses to the same hole while somebody watches the meter is the best way to NOT mix up the fuses...

to identify the circuit after you have found one with excessive draw is to look at ones owners manual and identify the fuse location..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/01/12
07:12 AM

PLEASE...  DO NOT PULL A BATTERY CABLE OFF TO TEST THE CHARGING SYSTEM.. this will damage the alternator..   shorten its life...

use the test first

meter set to 20 volts DC..      i normally do this test ... engine off.. and after having the headlights on for one minute.. then the headlights turned off.. this removes any surface charge from the battery that can throw off the actual results..

12.65 volts is a fully charged battery..
12.45 volts is a 3/4 charged battery..
12.25 volts is a 1/2 charged battery..

if the battery tests below 12.50 volts..  for a proper charging system test..  you will have to charge it on a battery charger for 1/2 an hour to an hour.. to bring it up to full charge for a proper alternator charging system test..

when you get the engine started...  i have a 4 part test... that takes just about 2 minutes to complete..

engine running headlights on...  set digital volt meter to 20 volts DC..

1.    test negative battery post to the positive battery post..    14.1 to 14.8 volts is expected..

2.   test negative battery post to the engine block...   0.04 volts is expected.

3.  test negative battery post to the body .... 0.02 volts is expected.

4.  test engine block to the body...   0.02 volts is expected..

if you get 0.00 volts.. you don't have a good result.. set meter to 2 volts DC and retest..

if you get more than 0.04 or 0.02 volts..  you have an issue with the ground connections between those parts...

ground is not really a ground on cars...  its HALF the circuit..  have a loose or dirty ground connection between 2 parts.. you will get more voltage drop when you measure both ends of the circuit with power flowing through it.. (engine running.. headlights on)

i hope this helps...   you might want to copy this info..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

 
 
  • Trade-in-Value.com