Xml
Item Posts   

PLEASE HELP TPS

| 
myndi1025 myndi1025
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/29/12
04:39 PM

If I sound dumb I apologize ahead of time.... cars are a foreign animal to me! I have had someone take a look at my 1999 dodge caravan and they said it seems like the TPS needs to be replaced. The van is either not wanting to start or when it does as soon as I hit the gas it will idle crazy and stall out and sometimes I can get it to go and it will just go crazy with the rpms when slowing down and accelerating and usually will stall out. SO I got the tps yesterday and put it in and miraculously the car started right up and wasnt idling all crazy and then the van made a HORRIBLE noise and when i took the tps off it was stripped completely can ne one tell me what can cause this. also do you know what it is that I need to hook from my laptop to my car to adjust the tps.  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
05:48 PM

When you say stripped you mean the part that turns when you move the throttle? The only way that could happen is if it was installed incorrectly. As far as adjusting it you would need to hook up a code reader/scanner and watch the TPS voltage while you adjust it.I believe it should be .5 volts at idle but I'm not positive about that it could be 1 volt for that car i would have to look it up to be sure. As far as i know you can't use your laptop.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
06:32 PM

i am confused..

first.. lets figure out which engine you have...

the 8th digit of the vin..  is it a B, 3, G, L, R    

Available engines
4 Cylinders B 2.4L SFI DOHC
6 Cylinders 3 3.0L MFI (found in 37% of 1999 Dodge Caravan 2WD)
6 Cylinders G 3.3L Flex Fuel (found in 40% of 1999 Dodge Caravan 2WD)
6 Cylinders L 3.8L MFI (found in 02% of 1999 Dodge Caravan 2WD)
6 Cylinders R 3.3L MFI (found in 21% of 1999 Dodge Caravan 2WD)

this way you can get the proper TPS... i have not looked.. but there are probably variations between the 2.4 and the V6 versions  that might turn backwards and be destroyed when installed..

i have found an issue with a a LOT of these caravans... there is a hidden GROUND connection under the battery tray... on top of the frame rail that gets corrosion from acid fumes and acid dripping from the battery tray...   since on cars... the ground side is half the circuit.. not really a ground. and if there is corrosion on any ground connectors.. you will have an issue with how the engine runs and how it shifts...   i fixed 3 engine trouble codes and 3 transmission codes just by cleaning the ground under the battery tray...

post exactly which engine you have.. and somebody will attempt to get you the proper info you need... also a better description of how and what is stripped....

the throttle shaft  only rotates about  80 or 85 degrees.. not even a full 1/4 turn... but the parts are plastic...  so its really easy to break if done wrong...

usually installed with the throttle closed.. and it just slips on..  then is screwed in place.. you don't have to turn it to get the mounting screws to lineup unless you have the wrong one...

please also check the production date on the caravan. or post the 10th digit of the vin number.. that shows what year it is...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
06:40 PM

2.4 versions use this one. tps335  the 3.0 versions also use this one..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3.3 flex fuel versions use this one.. tps331

~~~~~~~~~~

do you have the Old TPS.. that you can post a part number off of??

i did not try to look up all the variations on this as i am awaiting your info..

you can also with the key in the ON position. but the engine NOT running..  turn the key OFF, on, OFF, on,  OFF, on,  OFF, ON.. with the final position being on..  the Odometer in the speedometer will stop showing miles driven and display the various codes... please write them down..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com