Xml
Item Posts   

1992 dodge ram van electrical problem

| 
mpbarber mpbarber
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/27/12
06:15 PM

I have traced my problem down to the blower switch/AC. When I select AC and put the fan switch in the highest setting, the wire at the splice under the hood that goes to my ignition switch gets hot and if I leave it run long enough it eventually melts the insulation and burns through the wire. Too much current draw from the blower/switch/AC clutch??? Anyone know what might be causing this?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 06/27/12
08:07 PM

worn out blower motor...  drawing too much current.. seized bushings..
some come with rear systems also..  so you might want to check that end of the van..
i looked.. blower motors can be had without the blower wheel for about 30 bucks...

bad blower resistor... these are also rather in expensive.. under 20 bucks in some stores.

to much voltage drop across the circuit from resistance someplace

this is the front blower switch..

the blower motors run ALL the time when the key is on..  as part of the positive ventilation system to keep exhaust fumes out of the interior of the vehicle..

i don't have a HVAC  wiring diagram in front of me to aim you in the right direction tonight.. i might search one out if you need more info...

do examine the fuse box also.. make sure that none of the fuses or terminals that hold the fuse have melted or overheated..  

JohnThomson JohnThomson
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 06/28/12
02:57 AM

You can put 20 gauge wire in it, and by running the fan on any speed other than high and keeping the AC off the temperature doesn't get high enough to fail the wire. Else put a replaceable fuse according to its size.  
AC Compressor

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 06/28/12
03:20 AM

take what john Thompson has posted with caution.. as he is a spammer... or give him a call..   1-800-398-3128.

a 20 gauge wire will become a flaming mess if you install it..  in my opinion..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com