Xml
Item Posts   

description and location of bleeder valve

| 
mtnwife530 mtnwife530
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/29/12
01:37 PM

I am having some trouble determaning which fitting is the bleeder valve. I found the wheel cylinder and fluid line.Removing the wheels isn't practical. It's a 35ft RV on a 94 Ford Superduty 1 1/2 chasis. Do I need a special tool? If I only need a wrench or socket, what size?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
03:04 PM

disc brakes on the rear or drum...

if drum brakes.. the bleeder screw is just above where the tubing threads into the back of the wheel cylinder...

with Disc brakes.. the bleeder screw is sticking out aiming at the inside of the wheel...

size.. could be 10MM  

six point combination wrenches.. or the specializes and hard to find brake bleeder wrench..

a 12 point combination wrench will work..  just try not to round the corners off..

by the way... what's wrong with the brakes.???/  is your pedal spongy???

what service was performed before the brake pedal went spongy....

if you don't know how to BLEED the brakes...   you are going to make the issue much WORSE...

get it wrong and you can destroy your motor home...   get it wrong and you could KILL yourself and others...   a motor home without perfectly working brakes is DANGEROUS...

can you look at your VIN number and see if there is a  F32 or an F59 in it.. or and F35 or F45..  this will let me know what chassis you have..

you can see the bleeder screw in this image of rear drum wheel cylinder
0996B43f8020daae

you can see the bleeder screw in this image..

please describe your exact issue.. i will try to help you through the problem..  

mtnwife5301 mtnwife5301
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
04:36 PM

I was my own screw up. I hadn't check the fluid since,...well the whole time I owned it. but when I had shocks put on the machinic told me the brakes were new (like the privous owner said)Was on a trip, they statred getting spongy,but I could pump them up. But it kept getting worse, so I stopped checked the resivor, it was almost empty. I filled it AND checked under neith and the inside of the wheels for leakage (none)Adding fluid cured it for the most part, now I have some intermitant "sponge" that ends stops with a few pumps. I'm pretty sure the low level allowed air in. Not sure if drums or disc on the rear.,front is disc.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
05:26 PM

engine off... pump the brakes 3 or 4 times fast.... then let them up for 2 minutes.. then pump it again 3 or 4 times fast.. then let the pedal up for 2 minutes...

do this 5 or 6 times..   see if you get results..

what will happen with this is you will build pressure in the system while pumping...    when you let it up the excess fluid volume will return to the master reservoir .. this will sometimes allow the air bubbles to come up backwards...  

the air bubbles will gather in the top of the master cylinder bore.. then slowly go up through the tiny holes.. the 2 minutes with your foot off the pedal will allow the air bubbles to gather at the top of the master cylinder bore and go upward through the tiny hole..

please... start the engine and let it idle for a minute and check at the power brake assist has returned to the system before you try to move the RV...

if you have hydroboost.. the system takes 15 to 20 seconds to fully refill the accumulator. so you have assist..

if you have vacuum boosted brakes.. it takes 10 to 15 seconds to pull the power brake booster down to manifold vacuum levels...

either way .. do this with your foot off the brake pedal..  

mtnwife5301 mtnwife5301
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 07/02/12
08:30 AM

Ok, I'll try that first. I don't believe I have the hydro boost, I haven't noticed that disteinktive "KICK" of the pedle on start up. (used to drive short bus) Thanks for the help  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com