Xml
Item Posts   

Sparkplug change.

| 
vince60 vince60
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/20/12
11:52 AM

Hi everyone!I have a 07 Altima with a 2.5.It cold starts with its mixture a little fat by default.I checked with the dealer.I don't like it.I smell gas when it starts and my oil smells like gas.Not bad but still.It has near 90k with stock single electrode platinum plugs.And it is in top running shape.If I replace the stock plugs with a four electrode type. i.e Bosch platinum plus 4.Since they are supposed to provide a better burn.Would these  burn more fuel at cold start then single electrode type and let less gas in my oil? Thanks!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 04/20/12
12:19 PM

gas should not be getting in your oil anyway...

it SHOULD NOT start and be rich...

i would really want to plug a scan tool into this car when its been sitting overnight before the first start...

check the various temp sensor voltages ..

engine coolant temp sensor.
air charge temp sensor sometimes intake air temp sensor..

manually inspecting the fuel pressure regulator.. if it exists on that car.. i did not see it listed ..   see if its leaking fuel into the intake...  sorry.. i don't get under the hood of a lot of 2003 and newer cars.. not that i don't understand how they work..

fuel injectors that are leaking when not activated can also fill the cylinders with gasoline causing excessive fuel to be burned.

more to come later...  

vince60 vince60
Posted: 04/21/12
01:31 AM

Thanks for your quick response.That was my first thought as well.After checking with Nissan.It is normal for the mixture to be slightly richer on cold start.I not getting fuel running down my cylinders.Sorry if I made it sound that way.I just think the oil smells gassy.More so then I'm used to.I had Nissan do just what you wanted to do and all checks out normal.Like you.I have done my share of bending over fenders on much older cars.But the basics are the same.I'm just looking into getting a more complete burn.Especially at start up. I do appreciate the concern.SO to my original question.Do you think multi electrode spark plugs in my situation be an advantage over single electrode type.Thanks again!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
06:26 AM

multi electrode spark plugs in a late model nissan..?

all the techs that i know.. try to put the EXACT same brand and type of spark plug back in those to avoid misfiring

a friend of mine sent me this video link the other day on nissan  misfiring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJTP9sTF08

there are several more videos there you might want to look at..

and when you change your spark plugs.. i would like you to really examine your  ignition coils closely.. for signs of high voltage leaks..  

vince60 vince60
12:13 PM

Thanks.I really don't like messing with with the OE architecture.Especially in stock daily driver.Hence my question.Now that I know it's not a good idea.I will replace with exactly with OEM.I would assume that voltage leakage on these coils look similar to other types of ignition coils?Looks like a track the arc has made? Thanks again you have been most helpful,I greatly do value the info.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Altima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com