Item Posts   

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Raliart (not Evo) overheating issue

| 
Louis8ball Louis8ball
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/15/12
09:31 AM

Hello,

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Raliart (not Evo) overheating issue going on, and I wonder if anyone can possibly shed some light on this. . .

I had the thermostat replaced last year. Now it seems to be overheating again. This only seems to happen on my 2nd or 3rd drive of the day. It never happens on the first drive of the day. It only happens after it has been driven for a little while, and then it sits for a few minutes (like while I'm at a store or pumping gas, etc). If I either leave it off or idle it (like having to stop at a long red light or at a train crossing), then the temp gauge will start rising up towards the 'H' (about 75% to 80% of the way up towards the 'H').

Then, if I turn the heater on, it goes back down to its normal position. But the heater is NOT something I want to have to use in the Spring or the Summer.

Also, yesterday, I noticed it went back down to its normal position just by getting it back up to speed, while the A/C was running (instead of needing to use the heater).

Also, yesterday I topped off the overflow reservoir with with 50/50 Coolant. But alas, when I took it out driving a little bit later after that, it did the same thing (on my 2nd trip out --- after I went into a store for 5 minutes to buy beer).

Can anyone please help? Is this normal? Or could I possibly need another thermostat? Seems like they should last longer than this.

Thank you for any help.

-Louis  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 06/15/12
08:29 PM

it really sounds like you have at least a cooling fan issue..

either the radiator cooling fan switch is bad...

or the radiator cooling fan relay... some cars have 3 cooling fan relays...

check that the system actually holds pressure....  that the cap has NOT failed...

0996B43f80254284

i would like to have you try to find the ground connections shown at the bottom of the diagram above..  at 3B (3b) and B

with a professional scan tool there are ways to test the fan circuits by pushing buttons..

i normally find bad grounds can burn the fan control module out on other cars...

so... when it comes up to temp... do the fans come on???? the shut off and come back on..

cycling on and off every few minutes when at operating temp...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Mitsubishi Lancer
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Hatchback, Sedan
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com