Xml
Item Posts   

2004 Kia Optima brake issue

| 
kia40 kia40
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/12/12
09:35 AM

Yesterday i replaced brake caliper and pads. When I goto bleed the brakes air will come out but no fluid. i did this for over an hour but still the same issue. i checked brake line and it had no leaks. there was no leaks coming from the master cylinder. When I started car and removed brake reservoir lid and hit brake peddle there was no movement in reservoir. Does this mean my master cylinder has gone out? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 06/12/12
03:26 PM

that car has antilock brakes...

there is a control valve block between the master and the wheels that has can take total control of the fluid flow..

there are ways to bleed the antilock brakes...  usually involving a pressure bleeder to force the fluid through when the brake pedal is NOT depressed... so the antilock system is in a mode where the valves are open and NON restrictive..

i just dropped in for a moment today..  do you have access to some factory service info..

factory service manual.. alldata, alldatadiy dot com   mitchell or eautorepair dot net

later tonight i will look around and see what i can find.. i don't work on a lot of KIAs here.. even though i live just a few miles from Korea town in los angeles.  the koreans here drive benz, chevys, bmw's and audi's.. for some reason..     i got some strange reactions when i told some koreans who passed by that this chevy was a daewoo..

edit... i looked around.. seems they call on Kias just conventional type of brake bleeding with the antilocks... sounds funny..

just curious.... when you changed the calipers..   did you use some kind of tool to pinch slightly on the brake hoses.. to prevent the system from draining completely???

i am also curious that you did not depress the caliper piston and force all the fluid backward up into the abs valve and master like was done on earlier models...  this can push dirt backwards into the valves and between the actuator pistons and their bores causing damage.. where the fluid can bypass...

do you have one of the HAND pump vacuum brake bleeder tools...  please. be sure that when you seal the cup it comes with.. that when you block the end of the hose before you put it over the bleeder screw head.   that you can build vacuum...  the people putting it in the shrink wrap have taken to sticking a bag of adaptors in the cup.. the ziplock seal hangs over the cup lip seal deforming it.. preventing it from sealing properly... letting you pump until your arm hurts without drawing a single drop of fluid in..

don't tell anybody.. but i had a friend who was in deep trouble..  he could not get his brakes to bleed..  he had a car that was NOT computer controlled.. no oxygen sensors..   he started the engine and used a LONG piece of vacuum hose.. to pull the brake fluid through the system..   talk about a happy fellow...  

i have used the palm of my hand to pulse the brake pedal rapidly.. with a single bleeder open...  

what happens with this..   you are building pressure with the speed of the pulses of your hand..  but you are not going far enough to cover the fill port at the top into the reservoir...  so a big surge of pressure is created.. it cannot all leak out the fill port at the top.. so its pushed along the lines... but when you release..   you have not covered the fill port so there is NO vacuum created...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Kia Optima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com