Xml
Item Posts   

My tires keep shredding! Help?

| 
Shainaldowning Shainaldowning
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/15/12
04:01 PM

I have general exclaim uhp 215/35ZR19 85W tires on a 2000 Chevy cavalier. Lately I have had a problem with the tires going flat out of nowhere and then shredding all along the rim. I check the tires once a week and keep them aired at about five pounds below the max PSI. I can't figure out why they keep going flat but this has happened to two tires already within a few months of each other. Nothing is puncturing the tire. Any idea what could be causing the problem?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 05/15/12
08:33 PM

there has to be a reason the tires going flat..

porous wheel..

cracked wheel..

defective valve stem...

does that model have tire warning sensors.. probably not..

pesky kids..

you may want to put a tire thumper in the car.. and thump your tires before you get in each time like trucker do..

there is a hard to find cause.. i did not find the one that i was looking for...

but one area kept having flats on tires where some body punched the tires nightly..

seems one guy down the block got home from work really late..  since it was like 2 am.. and nobody was out.. he set the dogs loose to run .. they ran ahead and popped peoples tires and ran to the next driveway to get another set of tires ..   took some video work to catch the dogs at it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_2bLo7stc  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 281 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 05/16/12
03:54 AM

Your tires are actually too small for the vehicle (load carrying capacity).  In spite of your using the high inflation pressure, they are being overly stressed.  What is probably happening is that the tire is bottoming due to the low aspect ratio and the fact that the tire is overloaded (lots of deflection)

You need to go to a higher load carrying capacity (Load Index).  

loreanice loreanice
User | Posts: 94 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/12/12
11:17 PM

Obviously the car ain't fixed yet.
fort worth tow company  
Mesa Auto Repair
Brake Repair San Antonio
Transmission Repair Largo

JimmyHelu JimmyHelu
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 08/04/12
10:32 AM

Either some suspension components are worn out or were damaged in the accident and cause the tire/wheel to be at the wrong angle which causes increase wear on the tire.....or you have some frame or unibody damage which altered the rear alignment/suspension mounting points. If the accident damage is covered by insurance, have them reopen the file with a supplement, have the repair shop check the body dimensions against factory specs and for suspension damage or wear. You may have to pay a part of the suspension repairs if the damaged items are considered wearable parts like struts, etc.....you get new parts and pay a percentage for how much use was in the old ones. You should also have a 4 wheel alignment done if needed for your model car.  

FireBal989 FireBal989
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/01/12
07:21 PM

It sounds to me like,as an earlier post said, the tires may be too small for the vehicle, and therefore their load carrying capacity is being "overloaded".  While it could be a suspension issue, is would be hard to tell how your tires are wearing if they are shredding that abruptly. Definitely get an alignment done, if you haven't already.  Which tires seem to be shredding soonest ?? The front or the rear, and which side ????  
Call Advanced Auto Part's 24/7 Parts Hotline At 877-635-4972 For Incredible Prices On All Auto Parts!

Mention Promo Code CC20 To Get A 20% Discount On Almost All Orders!  Promo Code Good With 24/7 Hotline Only!

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com