Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Is it a sign for a major transmission problem?

| 
barros89 barros89
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/01/12
06:12 PM

Hello, I drive a 1995 Nissan Altima GXE 2.5L Automatic.   The car shifts smoothly when driving on freeway except the first gear (a small boom because of the motor mouths, not big deal for now), but recently I been having a weird noise from the transmission only when putting the car from Parking on Drive or from Drive to Nutreal, but Not from Park to Reverse or from Nutreal to Reverse.  This is like a quarter second grind noise (grrrz), it's not a loud noise and sometimes there is no noise at all when putting the car in Drive.  Noticed it today after coming back from Vegas yesterday.

What can it be?  I love this car and had it for 2 years, took me from LA to Vegas 3 times, through the grand canyon twice and all other Southern California.  Never had any major repairs except for water pump and I'd be really sad to sell it.  But if the transmission gonna cause a big expensive problem I'd rather sell the car and avoid expensive repairs.            

My car has only 110,000 miles which is nothing for a Nissan.  3000 miles ago I went to firestone when the only problem was that when I put on drive there a small "push" like from the transmission.  But they said it's minor and if I drive gently the transmission could last easily another 35000 miles.  But this grinding noise is new.

What do you guys think it is? and what's your opinion?

Thank you so much.  

mmoigold mmoigold
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 03/12
07:19 PM

I agree with your point of view, after all, could not bear  
I heart which I could not help him
mmoigold

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
07:39 PM

Its hard to tell what the noise is from your description.If you can record it and put it on youtube i might be able to tell you what it is.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Altima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com