Xml
Item Posts   

buying car and moving cross country

| 
ticketstub ticketstub
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/09/12
08:57 AM

A bit of a dilemma...  My wife and I are moving from Florida to Los Angeles this summer for work.  We currently have 2 vehicles and want to sell them both and get a new Subaru Outback.  Trying to determine best way to do this logistically.

Both of our vehicles are licensed and registered in Florida.

Here are a few of our options:

1) Buy vehicle in Florida... move to California..ship or drive new car to Cali
2) Order vehicle from California dealership -- and pick-up when we arrive

Things to think about:
1) Sales Tax is 1.75% higher in California
2) May have to pay out-of-state fees to register Florida-purchased car in California
3) Shipping vehicle costs approx $750 from Florida to California

Where should we buy our new Subaru?  Florida dealer or California?  Anything else I should be thinking about during this process?  I know California is strict when it comes to vehicles, emissions...etc.  

thanks!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 04/09/12
09:28 AM

you have more of a dilemma ...

i live in los angeles..  i have known a bunch of people to come out here.. only to have their jobs fold up..

i am not trying to talk you out of a move..  just to alert you about issues here..

if your existing cars are payed off..   why sell them.. drive them here..  so you can get settled.. and both have cars.. if they are fairly recent cars..  they might pass smog fairly easily..   obd2 1996 and newer cars get hooked directly to the smog machine to download the actual computer info along with a dyno test ..  to pass or fail..   which is more than pre 96 models that get a visual and fuel pressure tank test then the dyno..

there are around 7 subaru dealers within 25 miles of los angeles..  so you have a LOT of options..

have you priced rentals living here..

it also depends upon where work is..   if its bus able..  so many people here drive 50 or 70 miles each way to and from work.. its insane.  

Nick.Joel Nick.Joel
User | Posts: 154 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 07/03/12
03:18 AM

If I were in your place I would definitely go with the second option. I simply order my vehicle from a dealer in Cali and pick it up when I reached their. If you buy a vehicle in Florida then again you have to register it in California. And also their is shipping cost. So to my opinion it is better to give 1.75% higher sales tax in California rather than going with all this harassment...good luck.  
www.ronduprattford.com

inaudiblepc inaudiblepc
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/07/12
08:35 AM

Consider the average sale value of your two cars in the two places, your vehicles might sell for more in Cali than in Florida, or vice versa. Just another consideration.  Wink  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Subaru Outback
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Wagon
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com