Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Guidance on private sale scenario (Indiana/Texas/Mexico)

| 
MackWonder MackWonder
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/01/12
08:48 AM

I have running (sort of) 1994 Nissan Altima that is currently titled and registered (expired) in Indiana. I live in Texas. I've been meaning to get rid of it one way or another, but have been lazy. Yesterday somebody stopped by wanting to purchase it with cash, running or not, for resale in Mexico. I don't really know how to proceed or if this is even a safe transaction. I don't know what I am supposed to do so that I am not left with any liability. I've tried searching the state FAQ's on this, but they don't really cover this scenario. Any advice?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
10:36 AM

on line in every state at the DMV are the

BILL OF SALE for your state..

and the

RELEASE OF LIABILITY and NOTICE of TRANSFER.        

they are usually in adobe acrobat and interactive..   so if you have acrobat installed in your computer..

you can type your name and vehicle info into the proper boxes and just TAB button to the next box.. then print them so its all filled out except for the BUYERS info which you should get from their drivers license..      you will want to print out and fill in 3 copies of each...

one for the person who is buying your car...

one for you as a LONG term keeper...  to PROVE you sold the car to somebody on this date..

and one to mail into the state DMV department to show that you have sold the car..

why go to all this...  CYA...

just last night..  a friend called me up..   a customer at his work decided she did not want to spend the money to fix her car..   so my friend arranged for his step daughter to buy it.. as is..  we got together and fixed it .  when it was done.. she drove away with it on a saturday when DMV and AAA was closed..  seems she has failed to do the proper smog and transfer..    she has gotten a parking ticket on it..  it went to my friends house.. in his name..     i would guess that even through the step daughter just got the signed pinkslip.. that the previous owner filled out the DMV release of liability and must have gotten the info from his work..  as he got the ticket notice mailed to HIM at his house..    cover your.. ......  

MackWonder MackWonder
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/12
10:53 AM

Thanks! Since the car is titled and formerly registered in Indiana, would i need those from Indiana or Texas (where I currently live).  I already have the Notice of Sale for Indiana but the Release of Liability is not required for Indiana per their website.

Regarding the ticket situation.  If I am taking my licence plates off the car how would a ticket show up in my name?  Or would the ticket be given per the VIN number if there were no plates on the car?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
02:21 PM

depends on the ticket...

there is a visible vin in the window...  so parking tickets might get back to you... if they can read it..

police written tickets will for sure get back to you..

accidents and injuries from accidents will SURELY get back to you..

you can use almost any states release of liability form.. or print it out and create your own..

taking the plates off is a great idea...

that also stops them from using your pink slip and your plates to move a stolen car across the border..    

or they could be totally legitimate.. buying cars for mexico..  to be cobbled back together there and put back into operation..

the only reason that cars are scrapped now.. is its more expensive to fix them at the 60 to 90 bucks an hour shop rates than it is to replace them..

unless they are damaged in an accident..  almost anything is fixable..

one of my friends who i keep his van fixed just had an issue.. his odometer turned to 400,000 miles..  and the next time he started it .. it had reset to 300,000 miles..  he uses this van commercially and gets payed by the mile on his service calls..  so he went to the DMV to ask them for a odometer form... that shows there is a different reading than is actually on the fan.. its do for smog..  and the smog machine may catch it..   the lady at the DMV said to his telling her what happened.. is.. WHAT KIND OF CAR GOES 400,000 miles..

perhaps i am too good a mechanic..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Nissan Altima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com