Xml
Item Posts   

tire wear

| 
trigger2 trigger2
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/13/12
09:41 AM

I drive a 1995 AWD Subaru Legacy Wagon.  Standard transmission.  The car has 164,000 miles.  I only use it to run around locally.  No serious highway driving.   I drive it most days. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 3,000 miles. I check the tire inflation on a fairly regular basis and keep it at 35 PSI.  In 2011, I only put 3,000 miles on the car. Four years ago, I bought 2 Republic Invader Sports tires.  My auto mechanic tells me they need to be replaced due to wear. They have 16,000 miles on them.  Given all the above, is this the mileage I should expect on my tires?  Thanks for any insight and advice.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 304 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/14/12
06:43 AM

Not enough info.

Did the tires wear evenly?  If not, then that would indicate an alignment problem.

But for reference, tires wear the most in the cornering mode.  Any turn you make has a huge effect compared to driving straight ahead.  I have literally seen differences in wearouts range between 7K to 107K for the same tire based on how it was used.

But I'm concerned about your purchasing 2 tires.  Subaru's are known to have driveline issues if the tires aren't identical - same size, same Make, same model, same state of wear.  

trigger2 trigger2
12:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm pretty sure the tires have worn evenly.  As far as cornering, I guess you must be referring to how different drivers negotiate corners, although I'm not sure.  Maybe you are referring to straight highway miles versus local driving with lots of cornering.  Regarding buying 2 tires and the driveline issues, my wife (also a Subaru owner) has alerted me to this so I'm aware of the issue although my mechanic has never pointed it out. Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns.  

trigger2 trigger2
01:09 PM

CapriRacer,

I was thinking more about what you said about cornering.  Since I bought the 2 tires 4 years ago and just drive locally that's probably a lot of cornering (4 years worth) even though it is only 16K miles.  Is that the point?  Thanks.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 304 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/15/12
04:13 AM

Yes, That is exactly the point.  Think of it as "turns per mile". - and think of it as a tire only has so many turns built into it.  

trigger2 trigger2
Posted: 01/16/12
07:11 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for helping me get a better understanding of this. I really appreciate it.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Subaru Legacy
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com