Xml
Item Posts   

Chevy Blazer won't shift past 2nd gear. PLEASE help

| 
HopeKillsSinger HopeKillsSinger
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/01/12
09:06 PM

So, lemme kinda give you guys the specs on what's going on.
I am NOT a car guy, so bear with me and try not to make too much fun haha.

I've had a problem with my transmission before, and had it fully replaced about 2 years ago. It wouldn't go into reverse or shift.

But now, it will shift into reverse and 1st and 2nd gear no problem, but as soon as it tries to shift into the next gear the engine just revs and the RPMs go up to the 4000 mark, and that's just to get going up to 30 mph!

Before this happened, for about a week the RPMs would "flutter" while I was driving in 4th gear around the 2000 mark, as the meter would just go up and down slightly with a slight rev of the engine (if that makes sense).

And about a month ago I had to bypass my heater core since I don't have the funds to get it replaced... So would that have anything to do with it?

Any help with any of this would be fantastic.
Just signed up for this site today to try to find some help.

Thanks so much  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
09:48 PM

hi...  you did not mention what year and exact model it is..   full size blazer or S 10 blazer... there are a LOT of different years possible..

somewhere around 1993.. they went to a computer controlled transmission..  

if you have a 93 to 95... you might need a special scan tool to access the codes...    1996 and newer is OBD2 so an OBD2 scan tool will display transmission trouble codes.. and live data streams..  transmission codes are in the P0700 to P0799 range.. and above P1000..

Post what codes you get along with the year make and model into..  

when the computer system sees a problem it stops shifting to force you to get it fixed.. leaving you with reverse.. which is NOT computer controlled.. and usually second gear... and probably low gear when you pull the shifter there..

if you have just lost 3rd and 4th.. and first and second work as normal..  you could have a bad clutch pack inside requiring a complete rebuild..

when you got the transmission replaced.. did they install an external transmission cooler.. and explain about changing the transmission fluid at least once a year or so...

there are several professional transmission men on this forum.. .. .  

10:00 PM

oh geez, sorry about that. like I said, total rookie here haha

Chevy Blazer 2001 4 wheel drive

and you just threw a TON of stuff at me that I did not understand at all. how would I go about getting these codes?

And as far as the external trans cooler, I am not sure about. I am contacting the place where they replaced it tomorrow... but it going out in just 2 years time seems pretty strange, doesn't it?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 01/02/12
01:12 AM

the transmission shop will pull the codes..

on 1996 and newer gm cars and trucks.. you have to use an OBD2 scan tool to see which of the thousands of different codes  set..

some parts stores will come out and read them for you with their scan tool...

identifying the codes.. and NOT all trouble codes will turn on the check engine light..

has the check engine light been on lately when driving the truck???  other than just a few seconds after start up???

warning.. NOT all scan tools will pull all the codes that you might have..  some look like this..

Image 12019

this one is about 130 bucks..

have you checked the transmission fluid level and the color..

is the level at the proper height while the engine is idling..  the truck level..     what does it smell like.. if you know what ATF smells like.. where its fresh.. and when its burned..

how dark is it.. good fluid is a transparent fire engine red color..
when it gets burned.. it will turn to various degrees of darker red, all the way to almost black..

with a 2001..depending on the engine.. you could have a 4L65E or a 4L80E..  

01:33 AM

first off I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to run through all this with me.

And yes, the check engine light has been on just for a while, I just havent had time to get it right into the shop.

also the ABS light and the e break light will both go on and off, even though the e brake is fully off.

The tans fluid isn't all the way to the top, but mid way, and I'll check the color tomorrow morning when there is some light and get back to you on that one. But there is almost a "burning" smell after I Get out of my car, it's def out of the ordinary, and it isn't sweet smelling like anti freeze is, which was the problem with the heater core that I bypassed.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
08:36 AM

the abs system can have its OWN problems... and requires sometimes a separate scan tool or a scan tool cartridge that the engine and transmission control...

on the ABS brake system..  a check for codes...  a test drive with a scan tool that can display a graph of the wheel speed sensors while taking a test drive..

if the speed sensors do not send the same exact voltage signal to the antilock control.. it will cause havoc..  

engine and transmission codes first.. then antilock codes...  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
03:10 PM

Most likely your 3-4 clutch pack is cooked or stripped.I can't even begin to count how many times i've seen it on that trans. Who replaced your trans and how long was your warranty? How many miles since you had it done?

I'm assuming you have the 4L60E trans it is possible that you have the 4L80E in which case it would be a problem with the direct clutch drum.Also very common but then you would probably also be slipping or chattering in reverse.  

Posted: 01/03/12
05:45 PM

QUICK update (still getting all the info for everything)

When it does go into those higher gears, it is still able to accelerate, it just takes a lot of RPMs to get it to, it doesn't just rev with nothing

does that change anything that it still semi-works like that?  

440t4 440t4
Posted: 01/03/12
08:11 PM

Yes. It just went from probably burnt to definitely burnt.  

Posted: 01/04/12
02:00 PM

so it just went from bad to worse
great

haha  

440t4 440t4
04:17 PM

You said you just Had this trans done two years ago. How long was your warranty? How many miles on it since the work was done? Heres a little test you can do.Let it run for a half hour so its its fully hot. Put it in drive and punch it real hard. If it slips or chatters then your pressure solinoid is probably no good.When your pressure solinoid is weak the 3-4 clutch pack is the first thing to fail.  

05:23 PM

but if it doesn't slip or chatter then the 3-4 clutch pack is already dead?

and that requires a rebuild and a like 3k worth of $$$ huh

and yeah I am calling the auto place tomorrow since they had the last few days off due to the holiday  

440t4 440t4
06:15 PM

Theres only two possibilities. It's either not shifting out of 2nd or its shifting into 3rd and 3rd is burnt.Based on the symptoms you described i think the  clutch pack is burnt. The test to see if it chatters in drive might just explain why it happened. As far as how much the repair will cost it depends on how far out of warranty you are. If they did it 2 years ago and you only got a 1 year warranty they probably won't charge you the full price to fix it but it's probably not going to be real cheap. If you bring it to a different shop they won't care that it was done two years ago.If they have to guarantee it they will charge full price.  

10:24 PM

just did the speed test thing
accellerated just fine from first to second then... rev hah

UGHHHHH

and yeah, i'm going back to the same shop and I'm going to be PISSED so even if its not full price I'll be happy  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com