Xml
Item Posts   

stuck input shaft in torque converter

| 
cuong-nutz cuong-nutz
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/28/11
04:44 PM

I have a 93 Nissan Pathfinder V6 Auto 4x4. I had swapped out my engine but could not install the new engine because the torque converter was too far out and not seating all the way in the transmission. So I pulled out the torque converter and out came the input shaft with it still attached. I cannot get the shaft to come out of the torque converter. So I left it as is and tried to install it back into the transmission. I could not get the shaft or torque converter in all the way into the transmission. It's not close enough to seat into the oil pump drive gear of the transmission.

Anyone know what is problem and what I can do to fix it?

D049359f  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 12/28/11
09:43 PM

You have to get the shaft out of the convertor. I would suggest  using a block of wood to protect the shaft and give it some medium taps side to side. It should come out.Once you get the shaft out you should look inside the convertor with a light and check to see if the splines are damaged. If you have a lot of trouble getting the shaft out you might want to get a rebuilt convertor just to be sure its going to be ok. Once you have the shaft out of the convertor {and its not damaged} it's not always easy to get the shaft back in the tranny. Clean the shaft with some solvent or brake kleen and blow it dry.Give it a nice coating of trans fluid. Then put it in the trans and turn it as you push it in. If it gets too tight to turn it by hand put a small pair of vise grips on the end being careful not to damage the splines. Then turn the shaft back and forth as you lightly tap it in with a hammer. When you feel the first splines engage stop turning and tap it in another quarter inch. then you have to continue turning it while you go further in until you catch the second set of splines.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com