1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Transmission In Safe Mode!! HELP!!

| 
heathermaei heathermaei
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/21/11
09:39 PM

Could it be - That my transmission is in safe mode due to bad brakes?
If so - Once brakes are replaced, will the safe mode automatically clear?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
10:13 PM

depending on the car...   some have not just antilock brakes. but traction control systems.. and stepping on the brakes with an error..  might kick the traction control into shutting off the transmission shifting..

the brake light switch also controls the Torque converter clutch circuit..    stepping on the brakes will cause that to unlock..  as the electrical circuit is opened..   but some models also monitor the brake light wiring..  so it will know that you have your foot applied... and if torque converter does not disconnect. it will set a code possibly..

post car info...  how it works varies greatly..

year.. make, model.. engine type.  transmission type..   with antilock brakes.. traction control...   with stability control...

what codes you have  gotten..   by code number..  P0000... B0000..   C0000

you may also want to check the body grounds.. from the battery negative to the body.. from the engine to the body..  that has caused a LOT of trouble lately..  causing ghost codes..  and transmissions dropping into save mode..  

heathermaei heathermaei
10:31 PM

Thanks for your quick response!

2000 Audi A6 4.2L - Automatic w/ Triptronic - Traction Control & Antilock
I will get the codes again.. My Dad has them..  

waynep7122 waynep7122
10:44 PM

ooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please tell me that you have had the transmission serviced lately .. by somebody who actually did it.. not just charged for it...

some of the Audi models have a CVT...    Constantly variable transmission..  i don't follow audi cars.. but i think this one has it..

there are two or three threads on the audi CVT failures and problems..

when it gets to the point where it falls into limp home mode.. it might be too late..  

there is NO way to prove it.. but sometimes .. techs get really wild on their test drives to verify the brake and the traction control work..  this might have been the straw that broke the camels back..  but like i said..

audi CVTs have a failure..  as i under stand from what i remember.. the audi specified transmission services at a very high amount of miles.. i could be totally wrong..

and people never ask about it.. or get it done before that..  causing wear in the transmission....  let me see if i can find the links to the audi CVT articles..

my condolences to the thickness of your wallet..

AT990019  

heathermaei heathermaei
10:55 PM

i did have the transmission serviced about 1 1/2 years ago.. paid over $4,000 for it.. and then the car basically sat.. it was maybe driven 2500 miles at the most? i will have to find my paperwork..

i have also been having an issue with water leaking into the vehicle.. to the rear floor passenger side. i have heard rumors of this causing gear box problems?

i think i may take it in for a VAG diagnostics tomorrow - the other codes supposedly were not enough to get the correct info needed.. this may make me cry.. i can't afford to put anymore money into this car and it's still got a lien on it!! Frown  

waynep7122 waynep7122
10:58 PM

there is too much to read for me tonight..

http://forums.automotive.com/search/index.html?SearchText=audi%20CVT&usernameSearch=&threadDaysOld=&sortField=RelevanceAndDate&sortOrder=Desc&keywordSearchArea=&forumGroupIds=&forumIds=  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 11/22/11
11:29 AM

The A6 CVT came out in 2002. She should have a ZF5HP19. Get those codes and post them here it might not be a major repair.  

heathermaei heathermaei
Posted: 11/26/11
10:46 PM

Well... I ended up at the mechanic's.. This is what they say:

Check cause of "Check Engine" light on. Scan computer VAG testing.
Car does not shift.
She was told that the car needs brakes and that it may be related.
Found the following fault codes: 17530,18032, 18010, 17548 and 00771.
We were unable to communicate with the TCM computer so we started tracing wires.
We found the wiring harness from the
firewall to the TCM computer soaked in water as well as the computer.
The computer is damaged and the wiring will all need to be inspected and dried out.
Before going forward with these repairs,
we also advise considering timing belt replacement because if it is due, it is quite expensive.

***I did find another forum online which suggests to place the TCM in a bag of rice overnight.. Same problem!! And worked perfectly!!  It could save you around $3000!!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
11:18 PM

rinsing the computer in deionized or steam distilled water..   i have gone as far was using a pyrex baking tray.. pouring steam distilled water into it.. swishing the unplugged computer around for a while.. then changing the water.. swishing it back and forth again..  this gets all the conductive salts out of the computer..

steam distilled or deionized water is NOT conductive..   power companies have wash trucks filled with it to pressure wash the long insulators on the HIGH tension wires.... they spray them live..  they also do this from choppers..

taking the case off the computer can help...

the bag of rice will also work.. as will a 140 degree oven..  please don't use a microwave.. thats been tried.. it did not work..  the guy who tried it.. called me and ask if sparks should be flying from it..  but its a convection microwave he said..

please don't eat the rice afterwards..  it might have an audi aftertaste..

where did the water come from?????????????????????????????????  how did it get in there?????????????????

what is going to stop it from doing the same ??????

please.. disconnect the battery.. any power through a computer filled or even with a tiny drop of water can de electroplate the circuit board..  

heathermaei heathermaei
11:26 PM

http://www.autoshopowner.com/topic/6275-2004-audi-a6-water-damage-destroys-tcm/  

heathermaei heathermaei
11:30 PM

thank you for all of your advice - this will be my project for monday/tuesday!
i plan to try the rice method.
someone who thinks to put anything metal in a microwave should not be working on his own car.. LOL!!

mechanic did not say where the water came from.. but from what i hear it comes from the air conditioner or sometimes from a drain under the battery that can become clogged with leaves and other debris after a hard rainfall and in general not being cleaned out..

i am considering contacting BBB about the leak when i find how the water is getting in for sure.
there are many audis that are having this problem, costing some even more than $3000!

do you by chance have any info on how to disconnect the wiring harness for the TCM?

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/All_Tip_ECU_removal.pdf  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 11/27/11
09:59 AM

Thank you for those 2 links.... very informative ....

rainwater and the chemicals it might pick up as it flows through the car might have salts in them making the residual liquid conductive on the ecm that you are going to evaporate the water out of ... leaving a crust..  that might still be conductive..

is that a bosch computer in a deep drawn case.. with the end held in with 4 screws... the wire connected with a tilt up latch???   if so..  the computer can come out of the case fairly easily..  for inspection..

don't forget...   these brain boxes.. might be available used from wrecking yards...    be sure to price a new one.. so you don't pay more for a used one than you should..  

one last thing...   you might.. want to see if you can bag the unit if there is no way to properly seal the connector.. by finding a fairly thick plastic bag..   probably something like one of the computer motherboard bags  and lay several layers of good tape on the harness.. so you build up the diameter in two places.. then tape the back shut between them..

i have thought many times about using white lithium grease to seal the connectors..  there is also bulb grease packets available now to water proof the tail light bulb sockets....

these are things you will have to choose from that i have done a few of..  

waynep7122 waynep7122
10:28 AM

P4pb6606111

P4pb6606112

you can see some corrosion in the upper right corner in the circle..

2011 05 22211519

2011 05 22211743  

waynep7122 waynep7122
10:35 AM

a thread offsite that might have some info other than water damage to the TCM...

replaced-tcm-2000-a6-4-2-used-part  

heathermaei heathermaei
Posted: 12/01/11
06:52 PM

Ok.. So I let the TCM dry for a few days and I've got some progress but not enough.. so i think i am going to try to take it apart and look inside as they show in the photos you've posted.. i just don't quite understand exactly how to take it apart without breaking it!! ive been searching forums,craigslist and ebay for parts. these things are scarce!! is there a way that you know of ... that i can find out if another engine size could be programmed for my car? like an interchangeable part? hmmmm... ive been searching online and found NOTHING.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Audi A6
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com