Item Posts   

2002 toyoya camry 6v 4-door saden oxygen sensor

| 
peter70304 peter70304
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/19/11
07:46 AM

Hi,
I had the catalytic converter replaced on my 2002 camry 6v 4-door saden in a local father & son repair shop. When I picked up my car the check engine lighter came on as soon as I started engine which was never on before. The father in the shop read the code with the code reader computer and told me it's the oxygen sensor problem then reached the oxygen sensor in the front of the engine to seat it firmly but the lighter still came on as soon as the engine was started. He told me to come back later and He will fix it. He did fix it on last Saturday but told me the broken oxygen sensor was the one behind the engine instead of the oxygen sensor in front of engine and he only touched the one in front of engine so I have to pay the full charge at $185. I asked him why the code reader indicated the bad sensor was the one in front of engine at the first time and he told me the code reader sometimes gives the wrong information. I paid the charge although I wasn't sure what he told me is true.
Could you guys please give me your opinion if what he said makes any sense.
Thank you very much in advance!
BTW I had my car checked by another repair shop after the check engine lighter came on and the mechanic told me the following "air fuel ratio sensor bank 1-1". I don't know where is the sensor bank 1-1? is it in front of engine or behind the engine?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
08:45 AM

perhaps this diagram might help..

2009 05 08 201921 AF SENSOR LOCATION

there is also a bank 1 sensor 2... that is behind the cat...  called the catalyst monitor sensor..  

peter70304 peter70304
09:12 AM

thank you very much. so the the oxygen sensor bank 1-1 is in front of the engine and can be reached by openning the hood. the oxygen sensor bank 2-1 is under/behind the engine and only can be reached by lifting the car. do i read the diagram correctly?  

peter70304 peter70304
10:50 AM

thank you very much. so the the oxygen sensor bank 1-1 is in front of the engine and can be reached by openning the hood. the oxygen sensor bank 2-1 is under/behind the engine and only can be reached by lifting the car. do i read the diagram correctly?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
11:30 AM

nope.. back 1 sensor 1 is back by the firewall...

band 2 sensor 1... is in the front of the engine..

this probably has more to do with where the number ONE cylinder is...  if its on the right bank or the left.. . i just look in the book usually...   sometimes.. i have to disconnect an easy one to get to while watching the live data on the scan tool  to see which one drops to 0.....  

peter70304 peter70304
01:35 PM

I have few knowledge about the car besides replacing the bad a/c relay and fan
resistor once by following somebody's post in the car forum. could you please tell
me if the oxygen sensor bank 1-1 can be reached without lifting the car?
Do the mechanic need to disconnect the oxygen sensor behind the engine to replace
the catalytic converter? I know the guy replaced mine disconnected the sensor in
front of the engine but he stated he didn't touch the sensor behind the engine which was broken and replaced as he claimed. any idea?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
04:36 PM

you would need to confront the shop owner on that one..

does the estimate say replace the rear oxygen sensor.. as it is broken...

and does the payed invoice list the rear oxygen sensor as the one being changed...???

ask them why there is a NEW one on the front and not on the rear...

i did notice when i looked at AZ for pricing.. they are well over 100 bucks each for the upstream sensors..

is your check engine light out while you drive now..?????   does it actually work??? comes on as you turn the key..  stays on for 2 or 3 seconds as the engine is started and is running..

if you want...    harbor freight sells a scan tool..  item 98614.. that will help you read the codes when the check engine light is on.. and examine the live data stream when you are doing trouble shooting...    this model will also graph many of the various sensors.. so you can see.. if it has a wave form that is expected...   this requires more reading to be able to look at the wave form..  

peter70304 peter70304
06:18 PM

Thank you very much.
The check engine lighter is off now for the past two days. The shop owner did tell me he replaced the rear sensor and he showed me where the sensor is while the car was still on the lift. I saw the sensor from the bottom of the car and it is behind the engine. My question is why it went bad. Should the sensor be disconnected before he cut the catalytic to prevent damaging the sensor? The code reader said bank 1-1 was bad. Is that sensor the bank 1-1?  

Nick.Joel Nick.Joel
User | Posts: 154 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 09/17/12
05:08 AM

Useful waynep7122!! Smile  
www.ronduprattford.com

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Toyota Camry
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan