Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

What if my back tires are larger than my front tires?

| 
aswope34 aswope34
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/04/11
04:58 PM

I drive a toyota Echo and my two front tires are beyond needing replacement.  My two back tires are in decent shape, I purchased them less than a year ago.  However, when I took it to the tire spot near my house they didn't have the correct size.  The tires were in pretty good shape but they were a tiny bit bigger than the ones on my car now.  I think mine are 175/65 and those were 185/65.  He was going to put them on the back and move the back tires to the front.  Would that be a problem for my car?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.  Thanks so much.

Drew  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 293 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 10/05/11
03:48 AM

First, the best situation is to have 4 identical tires on the car - identical meaning same size, same make, smae model, and sam state of wear.  That way the front and the rear of the car are compatible - just like the vehicle manufactirer designed it.  

The further away you are from that, the more likely you are to have handling problems - especially in an emergency situations (which is NOT the time to discover this!).  The problem is that you won't know you have a problem unless to really push the car to the limits.  Normal driving won't tell you if you have a potential problem.

This is why regular rotation is important.  you want the tires to wear evenly throughout their life.  You also should replace your tires in sets of 4 to preserve the handling balance.

But new tires should go on the rear.  That will minimize the risk of the rear end losing traction firat.  

Your best option at this point is to work towards getting 4 identical tires.  

juiceyjlc juiceyjlc
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 10/05/11
05:23 PM

Or you can always look online for the 2 of the same size tires you currently have on your car.  I am sure they are available.  
Josh
http://www.simpletire.com

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com