Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L won't start.

| 
viper4024 viper4024
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/31/11
01:02 PM

Please read.  I know it's long, but I need to tell the whole story.  So, here's the situation.

After coming out of a MLB game, my Jeep took a crap.  The battery has been needing changing for a bit now, but hadn't got around to it.  Basically, to find my Jeep in the parking lot, I used the "panic" button on the keyless entry.  It honked and flashed away to tell me where she was.  Jumped in and went to start it.  It actually caught, ran for a bout a half to one second, then died and did the old battery dead routine.  Gauges rolling back and forth, everything in the Jeep clicking, and would only click when attempting to start again.  

I flagged someone down to try to jump start.  I assumed the guy had a clue of what he was doing, but realized I was should have made the connections myself.  The cables got hot as hell and actually melted.  I looked at the connection he made on his vehicle and wanted to knock him out.  He had reversed the cables..... I got my cables out, and hooked everything up per what an intelligent person would do, and could only get it to try to turn over.  We called AAA to get a jump/tow.  

Tow truck got there, and we attempted to jump again.  After quite a while, the Jeep finally turned over like normal but wouldn't fire up.  It just turned and seemed like it wasn't getting fuel.  (It has a half tank)  Got the tow home, and went out to look at it again today after work.  

Same situation, turns over but no go.  I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 10 min before hooking it back up and jumping it off my work van.  The thing is, even now with the cables hooked up correctly, the cables get hot as hell.  

I'll be actually installing a new battery to see if something tripped in the security and wont fire up due to improper voltage going to the computer, but I fear that when the clueless guy hooked up the cables backwards, he fried my computer.  I checked all the fuses next to the battery and all seemed good.

Any idea to what else could be the cause?  Perhaps the fuel pump?  I don't know, that's why I'm here.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/31/11
06:30 PM

wow...   its hard to tell just what burned out when the cables were hooked up backwards...

so many items are Diode protected and the Diodes will blow Open when the cables are reversed...

do the cables spark when you touch the last one to the post.. without hooking it up... do you have an amp clamp to measure the current through the wires with the ignition off..  

or do you have a digital volt meter with a 20 amp DC range and hook your amp meter between ONE post and the  cable it was disconnected from.. see if you get more than 0.030 amps dc..  with everything off.

i am taking that you have tested each fuse...

tested each fusible link...

0996B43f8023af0a

0996B43f8023af12

there are probably several hundred wiring diagrams..

each circuit is broken down on a different diagram... and it gets confusing..

autozone dot com has a good number of them for the 99..

eautorepair.net has them also

alldatadiy.com also has them..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com