Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 RPM's jump up and down.

| 
rmaple12 rmaple12
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/11/11
05:47 PM

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter V8.  I have been fighting vacuum problems with this truck since the day I got it.  I have gone through 3 gas caps and 3 solenoid purge valves.  I have had smoke tests done with no results, seems as if dodge dealerships in my area are filled with morons.

Anyway.  It tries to die on me every once in a while.  At idle, the RPM's surge up and down 400 - 500 RPM's.  It does it also while driving and feels like it is trying to downshift.  It looses power, or seems to slow down when this happens.  It will also downshift and go up to 5000 RPM's when I accelerate, but not all the time.  It also seems to have lost power.

The only codes I ever get talk about vacuum problems.  The latest codes I received were P0440, and P0441.

The truck is acting as I described previously, but no codes are present.

I am at my wits end with this truck.  If I could only get past this problem, it would be a great truck.

HELP, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/11/11
07:40 PM

how are you getting the codes.... do you have a code reader or a scan tool????

scan tools can look at the live data stream....

they can also depending on which scan tool ..  record between 10 seconds and a minute of data stream when the system sets a trouble code.. or when manually activated...     either way.. it records and saves the data before you pushed the button and after you pushed the button... so you can sit at the work bench or computer and review the data ...

there is a lot more to check...  

rmaple12 rmaple12
Posted: 06/13/11
08:42 AM

All I have now is a code reader.  I have taken it to a dealership and they have hooked it up to their tools, but like I said, I don't think they knew what they were doing.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
09:10 AM

some problems are hard to find...   will require a digital volt meter and a scan tool...

lets first verify that the grounds are properly connected...  this is a test i have posted many times... and is the first test that everybody should ***  including techs.. but most won't do it..  they make more money changing parts...

set digital volt meter to 20 volts DC scale...

start engine.. turn on headlights..

1. measure positive battery post to the negative battery post...  14.1 to 14.7 volts DC is expected...

2. measure between the Negative battery post and the engine block...   0.04 volts DC is expected

3. measure between the Negative battery post and the body...               0.02 volts DC is expected

4. measure between the Engine block and the body...                             0.02 volts DC is expected...

please post what readings you get...  this is just a first step...    sometimes... you have to for tests 2, 3, 4 have to change the meter setting to 2 volts DC....  to get a measurement..   it should be over 0.00.....

why am i having you test the grounds...    electrons flow from negative to positive..   if you have a bad ground.. you may not have enough electrons to operate the circuit..

digital volt meters start at 7 bucks.. and you really don't need to spend more than 20 or 25 bucks for one...  

dodger01 dodger01
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/11
01:54 PM

Hello, we had the same problem with our 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 Magnum . The truck would idle up and down ,especially at red lights and while backing up . The truck would cut off at times and sometimes rev up on its own. I cleaned out the throttle body with the cleaner you can buy at your local auto parts store and I also purchased the Throttle Positioner Sensor for about thirty dollars and the problem is gone ,its been two months and  the truck runs great. Its a simple fix ,two bolts 21 OR 20 torx  head and the sensor just pops right out and you slide the new one in. You have to remove the Air box thats only two bolts and one electrical connection and you'll see the sensor on the right of the throttle body . Its the top one, good luck.  

dodger01 dodger01
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/11
02:02 PM

Also check the coil on plug (ignition coils) the plastic shaft that connects to the plug is known for devoloping hairline cracks(use a magnifying glass). Its worth checking out if you cant figure out the problem.  

rmaple12 rmaple12
Posted: 06/19/11
06:51 PM

Thanks everyone,

I will give all of these suggestions a try.

Can anyone tell me if the truck acting the way it has will have caused any other damage to my truck???

Thanks for now.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com