Xml
Item Posts   

1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

| 
lunarwolf69 lunarwolf69
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/05/11
07:59 AM

Need to find best site for simple repairs. Chilton and Haynes are no help. Need to find where the hole for the radio antenna wire goes from eng comp. to the radio, how to get to the bulb behind the speedometer, ect. Small stuff like that thats not in the repair manuals.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 05/05/11
10:44 AM

factory service manuals for that model are still around...

i can fill you in on some of what you ask...

how about a few pictures...

0900C152801c8935

All Except 1980-89 Seville and 1978-89 Eldorado
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the instrument panel insert.
With the shift lever in the Park position, remove the shift indicator cable and clip retaining screw from the steering column.
Remove the upper and lower cluster assembly retaining screws. Remove the screw directly above the steering column which retains the cluster to the speedometer mounting plate.
Pull the cluster outward, then disengage the speedometer cable and the electrical connections.
If equipped, disconnect the speed control sensor from the cluster assembly. Disengage other connectors as required.
Place the shift lever in the Low position, and if equipped with tilt wheel, place the wheel in its lowest position. Remove the cluster assembly from the dash.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Set the shift, indicator cable in the Neutral position and adjust the cable accordingly.

az covers some of the repair info on this model...

paste this term into google..

1968 cadillac factory service manual

then click google shopping...  you will find manuals in print and on DVD for your car...

i like the print manuals better...

if you need more info... please ask...

one thing...  the bulbs used in the dash boards... come in boxes of 10... instead of display cards of 2...  much cheeper to buy 10.. or even more..   i don't know which bulbs are used in that model.. it it uses 194 bulbs.. or 1895 bulbs or several other numbers...  

lunarwolf69 lunarwolf69
Posted: 01/29/12
08:54 AM

My 68 does not have the electric antenna. When I got it it had no antenna. I ordered a regular one. So the question I had was how to get the wire from the engine comp. to the radio? I do not want to drill.  

lunarwolf69 lunarwolf69
09:04 AM

P.S. I forgot to mention that I do have the original 1968 Chiltions repair manual( the big onr), the Haynes 67-86 manual and the CD rom from Faxon. All do not have anything to where the antenna wire goes. Also nothing on trouble shooting the dash lights. Which lite up once since I had the car(since April). So anything right now will help.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
09:20 AM

the antenna to radio coaxial cable is shown in the image above as passing through the R H GROMMET.

chances are there is still a wire there..  as its usually disconnected from the base of the old power antenna.. just above the motor housing..

i don't know if there is a conventional push to connect splice under the hood... the wire is probably solid all the way to the back of the factory radio/stereo...

be sure to tape your new antenna wire to the end of the old one ... you will have to probably remove the plate holding the R H GROMMET in as shown..  to allow you to feed the new wire...

you might actually want to remove the plate.. and  use a second hole in the grommet to allow you to leave the existing wire if its intact.. so you or newer owners have the easy option of reinstalling a factory power antenna..  

waynep7122 waynep7122
09:35 AM

by the way... if you are installing new speakers...  i have a creative friend.. who actually created spacers that were carved on his router... made of hard wood   allowed him to install slightly larger speakers behind the factory sized openings..  and have the improved sounds of the larger speakers he carefully selected..

not that larger is better.. but the ODD shapes of some factory speakers.. make current replacements hard to mount sometimes without surgery..   it did require installing the speakers from the back of the panel..  by holding them in place while using screws through the original mounting location..    hence the reason for the hard wood..

he did use some sort of metal threads... probably Tee nuts held in with epoxy ...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com