Xml
Item Posts   

VW Jetta 2005 battery fuse panel

| 
David05 David05
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/13/11
06:55 AM

just wondering if anyone else had problems with the small black fuse panel that sits on top of the battery mine has melted the last connection which controls the generator charging the battery  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 05/13/11
08:56 AM

you did not say which of the various motors your car has...  but for some of the V6 equipped cars there are some things that need to go back to the dealer for a replacement campaign ...

there is a tag under the hood with a 3 letter engine identification.. that is what is needed..
Please select a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Engine

L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP)
L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (BEW)
L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (BRM)
L4-2.0L (BBW)
L4-2.0L (BEV)
L5-2.5L (BGP)
L5-2.5L (BGQ)

Automotive Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan L5-2.5L (BGQ).

TSB Number & Issue Date      TSB Title
2810-02 MAY 10    Emissions - Interim Repair For Recall 28F3

9105-07 DEC 05    Campaign - Poor Radio Reception When Cold/Hot
9705-02 JUN 05    Campaign - Engine Wiring Harness Inspection/Update
9705-01 MAY 05    Campaign - Ground Connection Inspection

4610-05 OCT 10    Brakes - Vibration/Pulsation Upon Application
9110-27 OCT 10    Cell Phone - Bluetooth(R) Retrofit Kit
6410-05 OCT 10    Electrical - One Or More Back Glass Defroster Grids Inop
9110-25 OCT 10    Audio System - Radio & External Device Overview
0010-06 SEP 10    Restraints - Child Restraint LATCH(R) Compliance
9210-05 SEP 10    Wipers/Washers - Windshield Wipers Streak Or Smear
2010-01 AUG 10    Emissions - EVAP System DTC Diagnostic Information
8710-02 AUG 10    A/C - System Flushing Information
9410-02 AUG 10    Charging Sys/Lighting - Headlamps Dim At Idle
9710-07 AUG 10    Electrical - Ground Connection Verification Test
7010-01 AUG 10    Interior - Fuel Door Switch Falls Into Driver Door Panel
9110-17 JUL 10    Audio/Navigation - Antenna Diagnostics Overview
9110-14 JUL 10    Audio System - Entering/Retrieving Anti-Theft Code
1710-03 JUL 10    Engine - Measurement Of Oil Consumption
9110-12 JUN 10    Audio System - Satellite Radio System Overview
2710-01 MAY 10    Electrical - Battery Charging and Testing Information
8710-01 MAY 10    A/C - Unpleasant Odors Coming From Vents
7410-02 APR 10    Interior - Rear Arm Rest Won't Fold Down
0110-05 APR 10    Computers/Controls - Software Version Management Info.
7210-01 APR 10    Interior - Front Center Armrest Cover Will Not Close
2810-01 MAR 10    Ignition System - MIL ON/DTC's P0300-P0312 Stored

there are more tsb titles over at alldatadiy.com    but there are 7 different motors and each one has slightly different TSBs depending on the engine...  

automan_1954 automan_1954
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/02/11
06:21 PM

Icon QuoteDavid05:
just wondering if anyone else had problems with the small black fuse panel that sits on top of the battery mine has melted the last connection which controls the generator charging the battery

YES, JUST ABOUT EVERY VW HAS THE SAME PROBLEM.

Even thou the Alternator harness and battery fuse box melt down IS a common problem with Jetta, Beetle and Golf, VW will not do any thing to help you except to sell you the parts.
You can buy the fuse box on EBAY for under $40 rather than paying the dealer $140. The part # is  1JO-937-617-D for the fuse box .
JUST CHECK YOUR FUSE BOX'S # BECAUSE THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT BOX'S

These part numbers are for a 2005 Jetta, 2.0L, but it should be the same for the  and Golf with the 2.0L engine.

I have changed a number of these fuse boxes over the past 4 or 5 years at my repair shop. The harness really doesn't need to be replaced just because the end that connects to the fuse box is discolored and the coating the burned off the wire. I clean the black wires connector and coat the exposed wire with "LIQUID TAPE" then use HEAT-SHRINK TUBING, but electrical tape will work fine.

<THE DEALER WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE BOTH THE FUSE BOX AND THE HARNESS>.

I have been working on cars and trucks for over 40 years and as long as the connectors themselves are not damaged there is no need to spend money for something that is going to burn up again if you don't keep your eye on it.
Just use some good quality black electrical tape, start down be the cloth tape (about 6 inches from the terminal that connects to the fuse box and rap it up to the connector overlapping half the width of the tape as you go and then back down(just go about 1/4" onto the connector, any more and the wire will not fit into it's groove in the fuse box), do this twice so you will have 4 layers.  Just sand lightly the bottom of the black wires connection to be sure you get a good connection with the fusible link.
(VERY IMPORTANT As you rap the exposed wire stretch the wire so it  will bond to itself and cover the wire tightly.

You should also use dielectric grease on all the terminal of the fuse box where the 4 red wires and 1 black wire connects to the fuse box and the other side where the 1 wire comes from the batteries positive terminal before you tighten the nuts. This will help prevent unseen corrosion under the fusible link (or fuse, which even you like to call them )and the nut, also as the new fuse box starts the get hot and melt, and it will, check all 10 nuts on the fuse box to be sure that they are tight every 3 months or so( My cars fuse box a harness started melt down at about 43,000 miles but after I checked it and found the black wires nut loose I dielectric greased it and tightened it and it has not gotten worst. The car now has over 93,000 miles.
You see its the plastic melting that makes the connection loose enough to cause the current at the connection.

I hope this helps and I hope it wasn't too long winded.

GOOD LUCK...  Automan_1954  
VENOM IS BETTER THAN ADRENALINE

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Average Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links